Calculate Volume of Partial Torus (a=10, r=5)

In summary, the problem is to determine the volume of material removed when making a groove in the shape of a semicircle inside a tube on a lathe. After many attempts, the person was unable to create an equation that worked due to lack of integration skills. The solution is to use the second theorem of pappus and the centroid of a semicircle to find the total volume. This method was successful and produced a result of 2991 units cubed when checked with SolidWorks. The person is grateful to the expert for providing a short, accurate solution after spending hours trying to integrate a modified equation.
RollingThundr
I have a real world problem. To design a calculator for a special machining process, I need to determine the volume of material removed when making a groove in the shape of a semicircle inside a tube on a lathe. The volume removed looks like this:

[PLAIN]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9854/halftorus.jpg

I've made many attempts, but I've been unsuccessful in creating an equation that works. This is mostly because I don't have the integration skills that are required. I've tried online integration calculators, but they haven't produced good results.

To check the result, a SolidWorks tells me that when a = 10 and r = 5, the volume is 2991.00 units cubed.

Thank you for your help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the second theorem of pappus. Then look up the centroid of a semicircle. It's located 4*r/(3*pi) from the center of the hemisphere. So the circle swept by the centroid has radius a+4*r/(3*pi). The area of the semicircle is pi*r^2/2. So the total volume is (pi*r^2/2)*(4*r/(3*pi)+a)*2*pi.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Use the second theorem of pappus. Then look up the centroid of a semicircle. It's located 4*r/(3*pi) from the center of the hemisphere. So the circle swept by the centroid has radius a+4*r/(3*pi). The area of the semicircle is pi*r^2/2. So the total volume is (pi*r^2/2)*(4*r/(3*pi)+a)*2*pi.

Brilliant!

(pi*5^2/2)*(4*5/(3*pi)+10)*2*pi = 2991

I must have spent 3 hours trying to remember how to figure out how to integrate a modified equation for a circle. Your answer is short, sweet, and accurate.

Thanks Dick

1. How do I calculate the volume of a partial torus?

To calculate the volume of a partial torus, you will need to use the formula V = (π*r^2)/2 * (2a), where r is the radius and a is the distance from the center of the torus to the center of the circle that forms the shape. In this case, r = 5 and a = 10, so the formula would be V = (π*5^2)/2 * (2*10) = 250π cubic units.

2. What is a partial torus and how is it different from a regular torus?

A partial torus is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a circle around an axis, but only a portion of the circle is used. This creates a curved shape with a hole in the middle. A regular torus, on the other hand, uses the entire circle to form a complete doughnut-like shape.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate the volume of any partial torus?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the volume of any partial torus as long as you have the values for the radius and distance from the center. However, keep in mind that the formula assumes that the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the plane of the circle. If this is not the case, a different formula will need to be used.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement that should be used for the volume of a partial torus?

The unit of measurement used for the volume of a partial torus will depend on the units used for the radius and distance values. For example, if the radius is given in meters and the distance is given in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic meters. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

5. Are there any real-life applications for calculating the volume of a partial torus?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for calculating the volume of a partial torus. For example, it can be used in engineering and design to determine the volume of curved objects such as pipes or tunnels. It can also be used in architecture to calculate the volume of curved roofs or domes. Additionally, it can be used in physics and mathematics to model and analyze various shapes and structures.