Particle falling into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem taken from the Wald book on General Relativity relating to the Schwarzschild solution. It is shown that any particle in region II (r < 2M) of the extended Schwarzschild spacetime must decrease its radial coordinate at a rate greater than or equal to [2M/r - 1]^1/2. This leads to the maximum lifetime of an observer in region II being τ = πM, and any observer in this region will be pulled into the singularity at r = 0 within this proper time. The conversation also mentions the use of Schwarzschild or Kruskal coordinates and the proper time for the observer being d/dτ = [(2M/r) -
camipol89
Hello,
Can anyone help me with that?
It's a problem taken from Wald book on General Relativity,in the section of Schwarzschild solution
Thanks

Show that any particle (not necessarily in geodesic motion) in region II (r <
2M ) of the extended Schwarzschild spacetime, Figure 6.9, must decrease
its radial coordinate at a rate given by |dr/dτ | ≥ [2M/r − 1]1/2 . Hence,
show that the maximum lifetime of any observer in region II is τ = πM
[∼ 10−5 (M/M⊙ ) s], i.e., any observer in region II will be pulled into the
singularity at r = 0 within this proper time. Show that this maximum time
is approached by freely falling (i.e., geodesic) motion from r = 2M with
E → 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1, the world-line of a free-falling particle must be timelike. Write down the appropriate condition for this to be true.

I thought about it but I'm not sure wether should I use schwarzschild coordinates nor kruskal coordinate,since I'm supposed to be in a regon with r<2M.
The proper time for the obsverver is,I think, d/dτ= [(2M/r) − 1]^-1/2.
The thing is is,when I try to write down the explicit expression for dr/dτ I don't know what to do...Should I use the fact that the velocity I'm calculating is a timelike vector and thus has norm = -1?

1. What happens to a particle that falls into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time?

When a particle falls into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time, it will experience extreme gravitational forces that will cause it to be stretched and compressed. Eventually, the particle will reach the center of the singularity, known as the "point of infinite density", where it will cease to exist.

2. Can the singularity of a black hole be avoided by a particle falling into it?

No, the singularity of a black hole cannot be avoided. As a particle falls into a black hole, it will inevitably reach the singularity due to the immense gravitational pull of the black hole. However, the time it takes for the particle to reach the singularity can vary depending on factors such as the size and mass of the black hole.

3. How does the finite proper time of a particle falling into a black hole singularity relate to the concept of time dilation?

The finite proper time of a particle falling into a black hole singularity is related to the concept of time dilation. As the particle gets closer to the singularity, time slows down for the particle. This means that from an outside observer's perspective, the particle appears to take an infinite amount of time to reach the singularity, while for the particle itself, it experiences a finite amount of time.

4. Is there any possibility for a particle to survive falling into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time?

No, it is highly unlikely for a particle to survive falling into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time. The extreme gravitational forces and tidal forces would most likely destroy the particle before it reaches the singularity. However, some theories suggest that certain particles, such as photons, may be able to escape the singularity and be ejected from the black hole.

5. How does the concept of event horizon play a role in a particle falling into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time?

The event horizon, which is the point of no return for a particle falling into a black hole, plays a crucial role in the concept of a particle falling into a black hole singularity within a finite proper time. Once a particle crosses the event horizon, it is impossible for it to escape the black hole's gravitational pull, and it will inevitably reach the singularity within a finite proper time.