Sol'n to PDE Integral: \frac{2b^2a}{3}

In summary, the conversation discusses a PDE book that includes an equation involving the integral of a function. Strauss claims that the integral can be simplified to a certain value, but the other person believes there is a mistake in the book. They provide a different solution and clarify a mistake in the equation. The conversation ends with both parties agreeing on the correct solution.
Cyrus
My PDE book does the following:

[tex] \int \phi_x^2 dx [/tex]

Where,

[tex] \phi_x = b-\frac{b}{a} |x| [/tex]

for [tex]|x|> a [/tex] and x=0 otherwise.

Strauss claims:

[tex]\int \phi_x^2 dx = ( \frac{b}{a} ) ^2 2a [/tex]

However, I think there is a mistake. It can be shown that:

[tex] \frac{-3a}{b}(b- \frac{b|x|}{a})^3[/tex] is a Soln. Evaluate this between 0<x<a and you get:

[tex]\frac{b^2 a}{3}[/tex]

Because the absolute value function is symmetric, its twice this value:

[tex]\frac{2b^2 a}{3}[/tex]

Unless I goofed, I think the book is in error.

*Note: Intergration is over the whole real line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must mean |x|<a, right? Otherwise the integral isn't defined. I tried integrating (b-bx)^2 from 0 to a and I don't get anything close to either answer. Can you clarify?

O crap, its b-b/a|x| sorry. See above I fixed it.

Then I'm getting the same result as you.

1. What is a PDE integral?

A PDE (partial differential equation) integral is an integral that involves a partial derivative of a function. It is often used to solve PDEs, which are equations that involve partial derivatives of an unknown function.

2. How do you solve a PDE integral?

To solve a PDE integral, you need to use a combination of techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fraction decomposition. It is also important to have a good understanding of the properties of the integral involved.

3. What is the significance of the constant "a" in the solution to the PDE integral \frac{2b^2a}{3}?

The constant "a" represents the initial conditions of the PDE, which are necessary to fully solve the integral. These initial conditions can be physical constraints or specific values assigned to the function being solved.

4. Can this PDE integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the initial conditions and the properties of the integral, this PDE integral can have multiple solutions. It is important to carefully consider the given conditions to determine the most accurate solution.

5. How is the value of "b" related to the solution of the PDE integral \frac{2b^2a}{3}?

The value of "b" can affect the overall shape and behavior of the solution to the PDE integral. For example, it can determine the rate of change or the amplitude of the function. However, the exact relationship between "b" and the solution may vary depending on the specific PDE being solved.