Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Pelosi was particularly harsh in describing the CIA

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    Nancy Pelosi is very critical of the CIA. These are her comments:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_pelosi_torture [Broken]

"Pelosi was particularly harsh in describing the CIA.

Particularly..."On Thursday, Pelosi accused the CIA of having lied"

"They mislead us all the time," she said. And when a reporter asked whether the agency had lied, Pelosi said yes.

She also suggested that the current Republican criticism marked an attempt to divert attention from the Bush administration's actions.

"They misrepresented every step of the way, and they don't want that focus on them, so they try to turn the attention on us," she said. "

These are very serious allegations from the Speaker/senior Democrat on the Intelligence Committee,

It is clearly time for an investigation of these alleged lies by the CIA, I think the Speaker should be required to bring charges (it is her duty)...to force testimony under oath by everyone involved...under penalty of perjury.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2
    I would agree to that.

4. May 14, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...if it is possible. Recall that often they [Congressional members] weren't allowed to have any documented evidence of what was said.

What has really caught my attention lately is Cheney. He is acting like a man who is trying to cover his butt.

Then came this little exchange
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2197937#post2197937

5. May 14, 2009 #4
    I reaad your post Ivan, but I don't see the point your making. Cheney correctly said that the president had to sign off on it.

6. May 14, 2009 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take this to the politics subforum, please. I come here to escape partisanship!

7. May 14, 2009 #6
    Although it is politics, I do not think the partisanship aspect is very relevant.

8. May 14, 2009 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

There is also this from a couple of days ago.:
    http://thehill.com/leading-the-news...-documents-to-be-declassified-2009-05-11.html

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/torture/bob-graham-i-wasnt-told-about-waterboarding-or-eits-in-my-briefing/ [Broken]

9. May 14, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was not willing to state as a matter of fact that Bush knew what he knew. Based on Cheney's obfuscation, it sounds to me like Bush may have signed off on something that did not give the specifics of what was being done. When we ask if the President knew that we were torturing people, or if he specifically approved these techniques, we deserve a clear answer - yes, or no.

For the first time, I am beginning to wonder if Bush may really be innocent in all of this. On the other hand, Cheney could be trying to protect Bush, but that doesn't seem likely.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. May 14, 2009 #9
    No.

SCHIEFFER: How much did President Bush know specifically about the methods that were being used? We know that you-- and you have said-- that you approved this...

SCHIEFFER: ... somewhere down the line. Did President Bush know everything you knew?

CHENEY: I certainly, yes, have every reason to believe he knew -- he knew a great deal about the program. He basically authorized it. I mean, this was a presidential-level decision. And the decision went to the president. He signed off on it...

seems pretty clear to me he pinned it exactly on bush.

11. May 14, 2009 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

2nd that

12. May 14, 2009 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's fine with me. I third it.

There was a topic in politics on this that got locked for some reason - apparently prematurely, since it seems to be escalating into a broader fire storm sorting out what the CIA would have told congress.

13. May 14, 2009 #12
    Forget "waterboarding and Bush and politics in general for a minute. The topic of this post is this this statement by the Speaker of the House...

"They mislead us all the time," she said. And when a reporter asked whether the agency had lied, Pelosi said yes.

The CIA (EVERY government agency) needs to be held accountable to tell the truth to Congress...no exceptions.

14. May 14, 2009 #13
    I agree...how do we do that?

15. May 14, 2009 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

There's the obvious solution of not starting it here in the first place.

With that bell run, report your first post and ask it to be moved may work.

16. May 14, 2009 #15
    Thank you Astronuc...for moving our thread.

17. May 14, 2009 #16
    Nancy Pelosi is 2 heartbeats away from the Presidency of the United States and a senior member of the House Intelligence Committee. We have no choice but to give her the benefit of the doubt.

She has accused officials of the CIA of misleading Congress "all the time"...and at a time of war. She said the CIA lied to Congress. This is a very serious charge and clearly a crime.

I'm not a lawyer, but at a minimum, this should be considered Contempt of Congress.
    http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/Contempt_of_Congress

I believe an independent prosecutor should be appointed to investigate the specific lies alleged by the Speaker...not a witch hunt about torture. Anyone who lies to Congress needs to be prosecuted...PERIOD!

This is not a partisan issue. The CIA is not Republican or Democratic...it serves the United States. It is time for testimony under oath.

18. May 14, 2009 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The plot thickens. Is this why Cheney has been so out front these days?
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-05-13/cheneys-role-deepens/

Was there a shadow operation going on with Cheney and the CIA going off the reservation, even to the point of offering Congress the opportunity to be misled? According to the time line these waterboardings would have been in 2003 apparently. Maybe after all the Nation will need to reach into the Executive Branch to see where all this disregard for the Law was coming from?

19. May 14, 2009 #18
    Right now, the Speaker of the House has made specific charges against specific members of the CIA regarding specific acts. These specific charges need to be prosecuted.

20. May 14, 2009 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

At this point I don't see it stopping at what was said or not said at the September 4, 2002 briefing. This looks to have taken on a life of its own. I suspect that a broader charter will be explored. At this point I think the Republicans and Bush-Cheney-Rove can look to thank only themselves for their attempts at molding history.

21. May 15, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Bob Graham denies being briefed on waterboarding

If you're interested in the issue, please listen to this radio interview until at least 10:30 or so into the interview. The CIA had claimed that Senator Bob Graham had been briefed 4 times on harsh interrogation techniques. After referring to his schedules and his ever-present spiral notebooks, he told the CIA that they were in error and he had only been briefed once. The CIA agreed that their records were in error and that he had been briefed once. Furthermore, Sen Graham claims that waterboarding and "enhanced interrogation techniques" were not discussed in the briefing. This is supported by his claim that two staffers were allowed to attend the briefing, which was never allowed when the CIA wanted to brief the "gang of eight" on covert operations. When briefings on covert operations are conducted, Congressional leaders and the ranking members of the intelligence committees are summoned on short notice, and are not allowed to discuss the briefing with any other person who was not in the room during the briefing. Graham was a conservative Democrat who (having been briefed on the fluffed-up intelligence leading to the invasion of Iraq) refused to support the Iraq war and urged his colleagues to follow suit.

http://www.wnyc.org/flashplayer/player.html#/play/%2Fstream%2Fxspf%2F131835 [Broken]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook