Pendulum Collision Homework: Mass, Speed Calculation

In summary, a stick of mass m and length L is released from a horizontal position and collides with a ball held at rest a split second before the collision. Using conservation of energy and linear momentum, the mass of the ball is found to be half of the mass of the stick and its speed after the collision is 2√(3/2gL). Conservation of angular momentum can also be used, resulting in the same mass and a speed of √(3gL).
KaiserBrandon

Homework Statement

A stick of mass m and length L is pivoted at an end. It is held horizontal and then released. It swings down, and when it is vertical the free end elastically collides with a ball. (assume that the ball is initially held at rest and then released a split second before the stick strikes it.) If the stick loses half of its angular velocity during the collision, what is the mass of the ball? What is the speed of the ball right after the collision?

Homework Equations

moment of inertia for the stick: [tex]I=\frac{1}{3}*mL^{2}[/tex].
[tex]L=I\omega[/tex].

[tex]\omega =\frac{v}{r}[/tex]
[tex]K_{rotational}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so first I found the angular velocity the instant before it hit the ball by using conservation of energy:

[tex]mgL = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{3}mL^{2})\omega^{2}[/tex]
and found that [tex]\omega=\sqrt{6g/L}[/tex].

then I used E-conservation for before and after the collision:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}=\frac{1}{2}I(\omega/2)^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{ball}v_{ball}^{2}[/tex]

and substituting I and [tex]\omega[/tex], I reduced this for the mass and velocity of the ball:

[tex]m_{ball}v_{ball}^{2}=\frac{3}{2}mLg[/tex]

Then I used linear momentum conservation here. My reasoning here is that the momentum of the centre of mass of the stick before is equal to the momentum of the centre of mass of the stick afterwards plus the momentum of the ball afterwards.
so before

[tex]v_{cm}=\frac{L}{2}\omega[/tex]

and just divide this by 2 for the velocity after the collision. So using

[tex]mv=mv/2+m_{ball}v_{ball}[/tex]

I found an expression for mv of the ball, which is

[tex]\frac{m}{2}\sqrt{3/2gL}=m_{b}v_{b}[/tex]

isolating v, and substituting it into the [tex]m_{b}v_{b}^{2}[/tex] expression, I got

[tex]m_{b}=\frac{1}{4}m[/tex]

and then putting this into the previous v expression, I get

[tex]v_{b}=2\sqrt{3/2Lg}[/tex]

So does what I did make sense? The only thing I can think of is that by using my method, the ball would have the same end velocity no matter where it struck the stick, as this does not matter in my p-conservation equations. I can't think of a way to use angular momentum, since the ball doesn't really have angular momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the stick falls, center of mass falls through height L/2.

ok, so in the first E-conservation equation, I replaced mgL with mg(L/2). So I got

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{3g}{L}}[/tex]

for my new angular velocity. In the end, using the same procedure as before, I got my mass to equal the same, and my ball velocity became:

[tex]v_{b} = \sqrt{3gL}[/tex]

so other than that mistake, I did it right?

KaiserBrandon said:
so other than that mistake, I did it right?
I think so.

allright, thank you very much kind sir.

I apologize for bringing up a dead topic, but It just came up in one of my assignments. I followed the same procedure and it makes sense to me and seems consistent, but I am having a hard time understanding why conservation of angular momentum is not used here (shouldn't we need it?). Id appreciate if anyone could help me understand this? It appears to me that we should need conservation of energy, momentum (linear) and momentum (angular)

Note that the ball *does* have angular momentum with respect to the pivot point of the stick. Because the initial angle of its velocity vector is 90° to the radius vector, it's simply its linear momentum multiplied by the radius (L). But you could have gone the completely angular momentum route and arrived at the same result.

I in fact ended up using angular momentum conservation directly with energy conservation (you don't have to solve for the angular velocity (at least not right away) ). This produced a mass of [tex]\frac{m}{9}[/tex], and a speed of [tex]\frac{3\omega l}{2}[/tex]. Where the angular velocity is that given by the OP (corrected one).

1. What is a pendulum collision?

A pendulum collision occurs when two pendulums, or swinging objects, come into contact with each other. This can happen when one pendulum is released and swings into another, or when two pendulums collide while both in motion.

2. How is the mass of a pendulum determined?

The mass of a pendulum can be determined by weighing the object or by using a balance scale. The mass of the pendulum will affect its swing and how it responds during a collision.

3. What is the speed of a pendulum?

The speed of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time. The distance is the length of the pendulum's swing, and the time is the duration of one swing. This formula can be used to calculate the speed before and after a collision.

4. How are momentum and energy conserved during a pendulum collision?

In a closed system, such as a pendulum collision, the total momentum and energy of the system will remain constant. This means that before and after the collision, the total momentum and energy will be the same, even if the individual pendulums have different speeds and masses.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of a pendulum collision?

The outcome of a pendulum collision can be affected by factors such as the masses and speeds of the pendulums, the angle of the collision, and any external forces acting on the pendulums. The elasticity of the pendulums can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.