Pendulum measuring acceleration of car

In summary, a pendulum is hung by roof of a train having mass 1 kg . The train then accelerates and the pendulum makes an angle with vertical. What is acceleration of train?
oreo
This was originally posted in a non-homework forum and does not use the template.
I came across this problem which says" A pendulum is hung by roof of a train having mass 1 kg . The train then accelerates and pendulum makes an angle with vertical. What is acceleration of train? " Is it equal to gsinθ?

Physics news on Phys.org
See, you're understanding vectors, and which components mean what.

Bystander said:
See, you're understanding vectors, and which components mean what.
So was I right. I searched for it over internet which says about using tan instead of sin but it seemed unreasonable to me
Thank you.

shayan haider said:
using tan instead of sin
My bad. What you found about tan is correct. The gravitational force is perpendicular to the train's acceleration. The force acting on the pendulum mass is the vector sum of the gravitational force and the train's acceleration.
Mea culpa.

Bystander said:
My bad. What you found about tan is correct. The gravitational force is perpendicular to the train's acceleration. The force acting on the pendulum mass is the vector sum of the gravitational force and the train's acceleration.
Mea culpa.
What did you mean by that. I want to learn which is correct gsintheta or gtantheta.

shayan haider said:
gtantheta.
The vector triangle to be examined has three sides: 1) the hypotenuse, which is the resultant of gravitational force on the pendulum, and the train's acceleration (pulling the mass toward rear of train); 2) the vertical leg, which is mg of the pendulum; and 3) the horizontal leg, which is atrainm. The relationship between the two legs of the triangle is "opposite" (horizontal) over "adjacent" (vertical), or tangent, since the angle of the resultant is measured from the vertical.

Bystander said:
The vector triangle to be examined has three sides: 1) the hypotenuse, which is the resultant of gravitational force on the pendulum, and the train's acceleration (pulling the mass toward rear of train); 2) the vertical leg, which is mg of the pendulum; and 3) the horizontal leg, which is atrainm. The relationship between the two legs of the triangle is "opposite" (horizontal) over "adjacent" (vertical), or tangent, since the angle of the resultant is measured from the vertical.
Oh sorry, I have got your point. You are right. Thanks for correction.

Bystander said:
I mistook that first. g is not the resultant. It is component.

shayan haider said:
I mistook that first. g is not the resultant. It is component.
You and me both, but it's straightened out now.

Please use the template

1. How does a pendulum measure the acceleration of a car?

A pendulum is a simple device that consists of a weight suspended from a string or rod. When a car is in motion, the weight of the pendulum will be affected by the acceleration of the car. The greater the acceleration, the more the pendulum will swing. By measuring the length of the pendulum's swing, we can calculate the acceleration of the car.

2. What equipment is needed to measure acceleration using a pendulum?

To measure the acceleration of a car using a pendulum, you will need a stopwatch or timer, a pendulum (with a weight and string or rod), a ruler or measuring tape, and a car with a flat and smooth road surface to drive on.

3. How accurate is a pendulum in measuring acceleration?

A pendulum can provide a fairly accurate measurement of acceleration, as long as proper procedures and measurements are taken. The accuracy can be affected by factors such as wind resistance, friction, and the length of the pendulum. It is important to repeat the experiment several times and take an average to improve the accuracy of the measurement.

4. Can a pendulum be used to measure acceleration in any direction?

Yes, a pendulum can measure acceleration in any direction as long as it is set up and aligned properly. The length of the pendulum will determine the sensitivity to acceleration, so it may need to be adjusted for different directions or magnitudes of acceleration.

5. How is the acceleration of a car calculated using a pendulum?

The acceleration of a car is calculated using the formula a = 4π²L/T², where a is the acceleration, L is the length of the pendulum, and T is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one swing. By measuring the length of the pendulum and recording the time it takes for a certain number of swings, we can calculate the acceleration of the car.