Pendulum Oscillations: 24/min, 1.53m Long, Find Gravity

• Thread starter Kaneki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, a pendulum oscillating 24.0 times per minute with a length of 1.53 m can be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity using the formula T = 2π√ l/g, where T is the period of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The period of the pendulum is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, and the rate of oscillation is the number of oscillations per unit of time.
Kaneki

Homework Statement

A pendulum oscillates 24.0 times per minute in a particular location. If the
pendulum is 1.53 m long, what is the acceleration due to gravity there?

Homework Equations

T = 2π√ l/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have one because i literally got into this unit. I am really confused and this hurts my brain

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a specific question?

DrClaude said:
Do you have a specific question?

i guess, how would i solve this?

Kaneki said:
i guess, how would i solve this?
You posted an equation. Equations are kind of useless unless you understand what the variables in it refer to. What do you think the T, l and g refer to in your equation?

haruspex said:
You posted an equation. Equations are kind of useless unless you understand what the variables in it refer to. What do you think the T, l and g refer to in your equation?
You're right, it's just that it was on my homework sheet so I thought it might be important to post it. I think g refers to gravity, l refers to length but t I don't know, would T be time?

Kaneki said:
You're right, it's just that it was on my homework sheet so I thought it might be important to post it. I think g refers to gravity, l refers to length but t I don't know, would T be time?
Yes. Specifically, it is the period of the pendulum. Do you know what that means, and how it relates mathematically to the rate of oscillation?

haruspex said:
Yes. Specifically, it is the period of the pendulum. Do you know what that means, and how it relates mathematically to the rate of oscillation?
Period of the pendulum must mean how long it goes back and forth in 'x' amount of time, Idk, I'm sorry, I'm new. Now I can't deduct how it would relate to it Mathematically. Would it be to calculate to see how long it would take for the pendulum to go back and forth if the length was 'x' . Sorry, never mind. I don't know why it relates to it mathematically.

Kaneki said:
Period of the pendulum must mean how long it goes back and forth in 'x' amount of time,
Not quite - it's the time it takes to go back and forth once, i.e. to complete one oscillation.
Suppose a pendulum goes back and forth 10 times each second. What would its period be? What would its rate of oscillation be?

haruspex said:
Not quite - it's the time it takes to go back and forth once, i.e. to complete one oscillation.
Suppose a pendulum goes back and forth 10 times each second. What would its period be? What would its rate of oscillation be?
hmm, i don't clearly understand the question. If period is the time it takes to go back and forth once. would the period be one second?

Kaneki said:
hmm, i don't clearly understand the question. If period is the time it takes to go back and forth once. would the period be one second?
No. If something happens ten times in a second, how long it take to happen once?

haruspex said:
No. If something happens ten times in a second, how long it take to happen once?

I am about to embarrass myself but my only guess or the only thing i can think of is, a millisecond? sorry,,, it takes time for me understand,,,

Kaneki said:
I am about to embarrass myself but my only guess or the only thing i can think of is, a millisecond? sorry,,, it takes time for me understand,,,
If it takes a millisecond to do a thing once, would it take a second to do it ten times?

haruspex said:
If it takes a millisecond to do a thing once, would it take a second to do it ten times?

scratch that please,
haruspex said:

my next guess is 10 seconds

Kaneki said:
scratch that please,my next guess is 10 seconds
wait would it be 10 periods

Kaneki said:
scratch that please,my next guess is 10 seconds
I'm not interested in guesses. Let me know when you've worked it out.

Related to Pendulum Oscillations: 24/min, 1.53m Long, Find Gravity

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth under the force of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and gravity.

2. What is the significance of the oscillation rate of 24 per minute?

The oscillation rate of a pendulum, also known as its frequency, is the number of complete back and forth swings in a given amount of time. In this case, 24 oscillations per minute indicates that the pendulum is swinging back and forth 24 times every minute.

3. How is the length of a pendulum related to its oscillation rate?

The length of a pendulum is directly related to its oscillation rate. The longer the pendulum, the slower the oscillation rate. This relationship is known as the period of a pendulum and is given by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How is the value of gravity calculated using a pendulum?

The value of gravity can be calculated using a pendulum by rearranging the equation for period to solve for gravity. This gives the equation g = 4π²(L/T²). By measuring the length and oscillation rate of the pendulum, the value of gravity can be determined.

5. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its oscillation rate?

No, the mass of a pendulum does not affect its oscillation rate. The period of a pendulum is only dependent on its length and the acceleration due to gravity, not its mass. This is known as the isochronism of pendulum, meaning that the oscillation rate remains constant regardless of the mass of the pendulum.