Pendulum Projectile: Find Direction of Travel Formula

In summary, the equation for the direction of travel of a simple pendulum is the tangent of the curve at the position of the bob.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

This isn't a specific problem, I just wondering if there was a formula to describe the direction of travel an object would take if it was part of a pendulum and the string broke.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing that if the string broke in the instant that the object was in its most downward position it would be released at an angle parallel to the horizontal and of it broke when the object was exactly 90 degrees from the resting position, it would travel straight up/down depending on where it was in its period, I would think that the direction of travel would be the tangent of the curve at that position? Is there is simplified equation for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
would be released at an angle parallel to the horizontal and of it broke when the object was exactly 90 degrees from the resting position, it would travel straight up/down
You've got the hard part; the rest is ballistics.

Okay I guess what I'm confused about is how to find the angle of the tangent line in relation to the axes in a situation like a pendulum where the axes are dictated by gravity. So how would one find the angle of a tangent line and the origin as it relates to the position of the bob in motion.

So in other words the angle of the velocity and the horizontal.

Jrlinton said:
how would one find the angle of a tangent line
Is there a difference between the geometry of a pendulum and that of a circle?

I understand that. I guess my knowledge of circles is sub par. After drawing it up and unconfindently using what I could recall from geometry I figured the angle was equal to that of the angle between the position of the bob to the vertical?

How about "perpendicular to the radius?"

Bystander said:
Is there a difference between the geometry of a pendulum and that of a circle?

The path of a simple pendulum is not a circle

lychette said:
The path of a simple pendulum is not a circle
:wideeyed::nb):wideeyed::nb):wideeyed:

1. What is a pendulum projectile?

A pendulum projectile is a projectile that is launched at an angle from a fixed point and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. How do you find the direction of travel for a pendulum projectile?

The direction of travel for a pendulum projectile can be found using the formula: θ = tan ^-1 (v₀sin(2θ)/g), where θ is the angle of launch, v₀ is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the significance of finding the direction of travel for a pendulum projectile?

Knowing the direction of travel for a pendulum projectile can help determine where the projectile will land and predict its trajectory. This information is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics.

4. Are there any assumptions made when using the formula to find the direction of travel for a pendulum projectile?

Yes, the formula assumes that the projectile is launched from a fixed point, there is no air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity is constant.

5. How does the formula for finding the direction of travel for a pendulum projectile relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The formula for finding the direction of travel for a pendulum projectile takes into account the initial kinetic energy (v₀) and potential energy (θ) of the projectile, which are both forms of energy that are conserved according to the law of conservation of energy.