1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum with mass attached.

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pendulum of mass "m" reaches a height "h" , while the length of the pendulum is R. If the R = 262 cm and h = 136 cm: (a) calculate the max speed in the x-direction.
    (b) calculate the max speed in the y direction.

2. Relevant equations
    K = 1/2(m)(v)^2.
    U = mgh.
    Vector components.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Calculating the max speed in the x direction is grand, it obtains a maximum value at the bottom of the arc so using conservation of energy you can calculate it to be v = sqrt(2gh). This is due to the vector components of the pendulum's velocity being v = vcos(θ)x + vsin(θ)y. The x-component obtains a max value when cos(θ) = 1 which occurs at θ = 0 (i.e. the bottom of the arc). Wouldn't the y-component then obtain a max value when θ = pi/2? This angle is never actually reached due to the bob only being raised through a height "h".
    So calculating the max velocity in the y is a little trickier. Could somebody give me some advice on what to do next? I'll attach a picture of the diagram.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2
  4. Apr 19, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should be able to write down an expression for the potential energy of the mass as a function of ##\theta##. Using it, you can derive an expression for v as a function of ##\theta##.

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4
    I'm not given θ though. Is there enough information given to find it?

6. Apr 19, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##\theta## is a variable that tells you where the pendulum is. It changes with time. Did you mean ##\theta_0##, the initial value of ##\theta##? You are, in fact, given enough information to find it, but I'm not sure why you'd need it.

7. Apr 19, 2013 #6
    Ok, ok. I see what you're saying now. Misunderstood your first reply. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted