• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Percent abundance of isotopes

• Thread starter kceddis
  • Start date
i am trying to figure out the percent abundance of two isotopes. i know how to set up the problem but i dont know how to find the weight of each isotopes. here is the problem:

Cerium (58Ce) has two commonly occuring isotopes, 140Ce and 142Ce. what is the approximate percent abundance of 140Ce?

Answers and Replies

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
140Ce means that the isotope has an atomic mass of (approximately) 140 amu.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
i am trying to figure out the percent abundance of two isotopes. i know how to set up the problem but i dont know how to find the weight of each isotopes. here is the problem:

Cerium (58Ce) has two commonly occuring isotopes, 140Ce and 142Ce. what is the approximate percent abundance of 140Ce?
What is the given mass of natural cerium? The mass should be a weighted average based on the isotopic abundances and the mass of each isotope. For two isotopes, it's pretty simple.

Hi kceddis-
There are an abundance of tables on isotopes and nuclear data at LBL (Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory) follow your google search by site:lbl.gov

Here is a table for finding atomic masses of all the isotopes.
http://ie.lbl.gov/toi2003/MassSearch.asp
In this case, type in the elemend Z# or symbol, and it gives the atomic masses of all the isotopes of that element. The masses are given in micro atomic units, so you have to divide by 1 million. For example Ce-140 is shown as 139905439 which is actually 139.905439 amu's (atomic mass units).
I hope this helps
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: