1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent abundance of isotopes

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    i am trying to figure out the percent abundance of two isotopes. i know how to set up the problem but i dont know how to find the weight of each isotopes. here is the problem:

Cerium (58Ce) has two commonly occuring isotopes, 140Ce and 142Ce. what is the approximate percent abundance of 140Ce?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

140Ce means that the isotope has an atomic mass of (approximately) 140 amu.

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the given mass of natural cerium? The mass should be a weighted average based on the isotopic abundances and the mass of each isotope. For two isotopes, it's pretty simple.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4
    Hi kceddis-
    There are an abundance of tables on isotopes and nuclear data at LBL (Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory) follow your google search by site:lbl.gov

Here is a table for finding atomic masses of all the isotopes.
    http://ie.lbl.gov/toi2003/MassSearch.asp
    In this case, type in the elemend Z# or symbol, and it gives the atomic masses of all the isotopes of that element. The masses are given in micro atomic units, so you have to divide by 1 million. For example Ce-140 is shown as 139905439 which is actually 139.905439 amu's (atomic mass units).
    I hope this helps
    Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook