Percent Uncertainty Shenanigans

In summary, the author is having trouble with calculating percent uncertainty in a problem and is looking for help. The sin function makes a difference and the author hasn't been taught how to use calculus. He is looking for a way to estimate the error.
dumakey1212
Parts C and D: http://s7.postimg.org/pnq5gry63/image.png

Part D of this problem is just like Part C above it. The only difference is the presence of "sin," but that doesn't affect the calculation of percent uncertainty at all. Chapter 1 of my Physics book (Physics: Principles with Applications - Giancoli) says you calculate it by dividing the 0.5 by 71 and multiplying by 100. I used this exact approach for Parts A, B, and C and got the right answers but magically it doesn't seem to work for this last part even though it is the exact same as Parts A, B, and C. Almost seems to be a glitch in the system. The answer should be 0.7, but this doesn't work. I really don't understand what is going on. Thanks for any help with this, guys!

Edit: I just randomly punched in values since my awesome professor gives us like 30 attempts for each problem, and wound up discovering the claimed correct answer is 0.3. This makes absolutely no sense and does not equate with the method used to do this problem. I have no idea how one would arrive at 0.3 as the answer. So confused, probably Mastering Physics shenanigans, already reported to professor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dumakey1212 said:
Parts C and D: http://s7.postimg.org/pnq5gry63/image.png

Part D of this problem is just like Part C above it. The only difference is the presence of "sin," but that doesn't affect the calculation of percent uncertainty at all. Chapter 1 of my Physics book (Physics: Principles with Applications - Giancoli) says you calculate it by dividing the 0.5 by 71 and multiplying by 100. I used this exact approach for Parts A, B, and C and got the right answers but magically it doesn't seem to work for this last part even though it is the exact same as Parts A, B, and C. Almost seems to be a glitch in the system. The answer should be 0.7, but this doesn't work. I really don't understand what is going on. Thanks for any help with this, guys!

Edit: I just randomly punched in values since my awesome professor gives us like 30 attempts for each problem, and wound up discovering the claimed correct answer is 0.3. This makes absolutely no sense and does not equate with the method used to do this problem. I have no idea how one would arrive at 0.3 as the answer. So confused, probably Mastering Physics shenanigans, already reported to professor.

Hi dumakey1212. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the posting guidelines associated with the homework help sections; you should have used the posting template provided when you started the new thread.

The sin function does make a difference! It's a non-linear function so its output is not necessarily proportional to the input. That means the result can yield different percentages of error depending upon where along the sine curve the angle lies.

What methods have you been taught to deal with uncertainty propagation when such functions are involved?

We haven't been taught how to do anything with trigonometric things yet but are rather expected to from previous coursework. I guess I don't understand what you would do with trigonometry in calculating this or how sine factors into this since you're given the value and the uncertainty estimate, which is all I've been taught you need.

dumakey1212 said:
We haven't been taught how to do anything with trigonometric things yet but are rather expected to from previous coursework. I guess I don't understand what you would do with trigonometry in calculating this or how sine factors into this since you're given the value and the uncertainty estimate, which is all I've been taught you need.

Have you learned any calculus yet? There is a general method for calculating uncertainties which involves using differentiation. Look up Uncertainties and Error Propagation on the net. In particular, have a gander at http://www.rit.edu/~w-uphysi/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html, and at part (f) Other Functions: Getting formulas using partial derivatives, in particular.

Without using calculus you might estimate the error by directly calculating the results at the extremes of the uncertainty spread (sin(θ - Δθ) and sin(θ + Δθ)) to estimate the total spread of the result around the "actual" value, sin(θ).

Yeah, that's all a bit over my head. I had pre-calc/trig 5 years ago and AP Calculus 3 years ago. Thank you for explaining it, though, you are very knowledgeable on this subject!

1. What is percent uncertainty and why is it important?

Percent uncertainty is a measure of the degree of variability or imprecision in a set of data. It is important because it allows scientists to understand the potential error or range of values in their measurements, which helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their results.

2. How is percent uncertainty calculated?

Percent uncertainty is calculated by dividing the uncertainty in a measurement by the value of the measurement, and then multiplying by 100. For example, if a measurement has an uncertainty of 0.5 and a value of 10, the percent uncertainty would be (0.5/10) * 100 = 5%.

3. Can percent uncertainty be negative?

No, percent uncertainty cannot be negative. It is a measure of variability, not direction. If the uncertainty in a measurement is negative, it should be treated as a positive value when calculating the percent uncertainty.

4. How does percent uncertainty affect the reliability of data?

Percent uncertainty directly affects the reliability of data by indicating the potential error or range of values in a measurement. The higher the percent uncertainty, the less reliable the data is likely to be. Scientists aim to minimize percent uncertainty in order to increase the accuracy and reliability of their results.

5. Can percent uncertainty be reduced or eliminated?

Percent uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated, as there will always be some degree of imprecision in measurements. However, it can be reduced by using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements, and carefully controlling variables in experiments. Minimizing percent uncertainty is an important aspect of the scientific process in order to obtain more accurate and reliable results.