Permeability of a Steel screw

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electromagnets in a project and the challenge of predicting the B-Field strength of the coils. The individual is looking for information on how to determine the permeability of the steel used in the project, with suggestions to refer to the manufacturer or use instrumentation such as a gaussmeter. A link to a YouTube video is also provided as a potential solution.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm working on a project involving the use of electromagnets and I am trying to do some calculations to predict the B-Field strength of the coils I make. For the core, I'm just using some common 1/4-20 steel machine screws (the common ones you can get from Home Depot and Lowes) but I'm not sure how to account for the permeability of the steel in my calculations.

Does anyone have any idea how one might determine this information? I know that the material will not have a fixed value (BH Curve) but if I could know what kind of steel is used, that would help a lot. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
The material is likely carbon steel. But there are many formulations of carbon steel with different permeabilities. You'll have to refer to the manufacturer.

Measure it. :)

I would just measure it, but that would require some instrumentation. What sort of electrical instruments do you have available to make measurements?

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

1. What is the definition of permeability in the context of a steel screw?

Permeability refers to the ability of a material, in this case a steel screw, to allow substances to pass through it. It is a measure of how easily a material can be penetrated by other substances.

2. How is the permeability of a steel screw measured?

The permeability of a steel screw is typically measured using a device called a permeameter. This device uses a magnetic field to determine how easily magnetic flux can pass through the screw, which is an indication of its permeability.

3. What factors affect the permeability of a steel screw?

The permeability of a steel screw can be influenced by several factors, such as the composition and structure of the steel, the presence of impurities, and the temperature and magnetic field strength.

4. How does the permeability of a steel screw impact its performance?

The permeability of a steel screw can affect its performance in various ways. For example, a higher permeability may make the screw more susceptible to corrosion, while a lower permeability may make it more difficult to magnetize the screw. Additionally, the permeability can impact the screw's ability to withstand stress and fatigue.

5. Can the permeability of a steel screw be altered?

Yes, the permeability of a steel screw can be altered by changing its composition or by applying heat treatment techniques. For example, annealing can reduce the permeability of steel, while carburizing can increase it.