Viability of using a long steel pipe to send a magnetic signal

In summary, the author has a idea of using a length of steel pipe as a communication medium. His concerns include the lack of a return path for the magnetic flux, the relative permeability of steel, and the large eddy currents that will likely occur. He suggests experimenting with the idea first before pursuing it further.
Robert31
I want to use a length of steel pipe as a communication medium. The pipe is about 20 feet long and the idea is to send some sort of signal along it that can be detected at the far end. I've had various ideas including using acoustic signals, or using the steel as an electrical conductor but I don't think I'll be able to ground the pipe at either end to complete the circuit. I therefore had the idea of using the pipe as a type of transformer core, with the primary and secondary windings rapped around either ends of the pipe. This would be an extremely inefficient transformer of course, I'm not even sure it would work, but I'm hoping just enough magnetic flux might pass through the pipe that it might be detected at the far end.

I would like to know if anyone had any thoughts on the idea, is it a viable concept? I haven't tested it yet but some concerns I have are that there is no return path for the flux except through air, the relative permeability of steel is nowhere near that of soft iron and there will probably be large eddy currents.

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Robert31. Welcome to Physics Forums.

I think it's a case of try it and see. You may need more power than you hoped for. By communications, do you mean transmitting voice spectrum?

I'd back acoustic as viable, so long as there is not a lot of noise in an overlapping spectrum from whatever is happening in that pipe or in what it connects to at each end (or what falls onto it, or in what drives over it). Audio filters might clean up some of the noise.

Is this something to tinker with, or does it have a serious purpose?

there will probably be large eddy currents.

experimentation will be the key.

Eddy currents reduce the apparent permeabiliy as frequency goes up.

I found that my 400 series 2" stainless bar stock worked best below 10hz.

Could just use the steel pipe as a conduit, run some wires through it.

Likes Nik_2213
Could just use the steel pipe as a conduit, run some wires through it.

i wish i'd said that. :redface:

Likes Nik_2213

1. Is a long steel pipe a feasible material to use for sending a magnetic signal?

Yes, a long steel pipe is a very feasible material to use for sending a magnetic signal. Steel is a highly conductive material, which means it can easily transmit magnetic fields. Additionally, steel pipes are sturdy and can withstand harsh environmental conditions, making them a reliable choice for sending signals over long distances.

2. Can a magnetic signal be transmitted effectively through a long steel pipe?

Yes, a magnetic signal can be transmitted effectively through a long steel pipe. As mentioned, steel is a highly conductive material, so it allows for efficient transmission of magnetic fields. Additionally, the shape and structure of a steel pipe can help to focus and direct the magnetic signal, making it even more effective.

3. Are there any limitations to using a long steel pipe for sending a magnetic signal?

While a long steel pipe is generally a great choice for transmitting magnetic signals, there are some limitations to consider. One potential limitation is the length of the pipe - the longer the pipe, the weaker the magnetic signal will become. Additionally, the thickness and quality of the steel used can also impact the effectiveness of the signal transmission.

4. Are there any alternative materials to a long steel pipe for sending magnetic signals?

Yes, there are some alternative materials that can be used for sending magnetic signals. Copper is another highly conductive material that can be used in place of steel. However, copper is typically more expensive and less durable than steel. Other alternatives include aluminum, brass, and various types of alloys.

5. Can a long steel pipe be used to send a magnetic signal over large distances?

Yes, a long steel pipe can be used to send a magnetic signal over large distances. However, as mentioned earlier, the longer the pipe, the weaker the signal will become. Additionally, other factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and any interference from external sources can also affect the distance the signal can travel. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors when designing a system for sending magnetic signals over large distances.