Find % Conversion for PFR & CSTR Design w/o Eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the % conversion for PFR and CSTR reactors with a fixed volume, using a graph plotted between 1/-r and X. The graph is not a perfect parabola, and the difficulty lies in finding the interval without an equation for the graph. The referenced website may provide helpful information.
kritbordin
The Quastion are giving me a graph ploted between 1/-r and X the graph if perfectly parabola but scale between % conversion are not equal. what sould i do if i asked to find the % conversion for PFR and CSTR which has fix volume.

if u don't clearly understand what I'm ask u may look up at http://www.engin.umich.edu/~cre/02chap/frames.htm .i have been plot the new graph by excel,it came out to be not a perfect parabola, now my problem is i don't really know how to find the inteval of the graph w/o eq. of that graph

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kritbordin said:
The Quastion are giving me a graph ploted between 1/-r and X the graph if perfectly parabola but scale between % conversion are not equal. what sould i do if i asked to find the % conversion for PFR and CSTR which has fix volume.

if u don't clearly understand what I'm ask u may look up at http://www.engin.umich.edu/~cre/02chap/frames.htm .i have been plot the new graph by excel,it came out to be not a perfect parabola, now my problem is i don't really know how to find the inteval of the graph w/o eq. of that graph

Welcome to the PF. I've moved your thread to the Homework Help forums, where homework/coursework questions belong.

Please show us your work so far, so that we can offer tutorial assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

it is important to accurately determine the % conversion for PFR and CSTR designs without using the equation. One approach to finding the % conversion would be to calculate the area under the curve of the graph using numerical integration methods. This can be done using software such as MATLAB or by hand using numerical techniques such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule.

Another approach would be to use the graph to estimate the % conversion at specific points along the curve, such as at the maximum point or at certain intervals. This method may not be as accurate as numerical integration, but it can provide a rough estimate of the % conversion.

It is also important to note that the non-uniform scaling of the graph may affect the accuracy of the % conversion calculation. In this case, it may be helpful to adjust the scaling of the graph to make it more uniform before performing any calculations.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential sources of error when determining the % conversion for PFR and CSTR designs without using the equation. It may be helpful to consult with a colleague or mentor for guidance and to double-check any calculations or estimates.

1. What is the purpose of finding % conversion for PFR and CSTR design without using an equation?

The purpose of finding % conversion for PFR (plug flow reactor) and CSTR (continuous stirred tank reactor) design is to determine the efficiency of a chemical reaction. It allows scientists and engineers to optimize the design of these types of reactors to achieve the desired level of conversion for a given reaction.

2. How is % conversion calculated for PFR and CSTR design?

For PFR design, % conversion is calculated by dividing the difference between the inlet and outlet concentrations by the inlet concentration and multiplying by 100. For CSTR design, % conversion is calculated by dividing the difference between the inlet and outlet concentrations by the inlet concentration and multiplying by the reactor volume divided by the inlet flow rate, then multiplying by 100.

3. Why is it important to find % conversion for PFR and CSTR design?

Finding % conversion for PFR and CSTR design is important in order to determine the rate of the chemical reaction and the efficiency of the reactor. This information is crucial for process optimization and ensuring that the desired product is obtained from the reaction.

4. Can % conversion be greater than 100%?

No, % conversion cannot be greater than 100%. This would indicate that more product has been produced than the theoretical maximum, which is not possible. However, it is possible to have a % conversion of 100% or greater for multiple reactions occurring simultaneously in a reactor.

5. How does the design of a PFR and CSTR affect % conversion?

The design of a PFR and CSTR can greatly impact % conversion. A PFR design typically results in a higher % conversion compared to a CSTR design due to the plug flow behavior of the reactor. However, a CSTR design allows for better mixing, which can be beneficial for certain reactions. The design of the reactor also affects the residence time and concentration profiles, which can impact the rate of the reaction and therefore the % conversion.