1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of molecular salt

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the pH of 0.20 M Iron (III) sulfate.

2. Relevant equations

The metal ion becomes hydrated (water is a ligand) and forms iron hexahydrate.

The sulfate ion is a weak base.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, in considering the pH of this solution, should I consider the below reaction even though it's small extent? This reaction consumes the acid, but the reaction extent is small!

[itex]Fe(OH_{2})_{6}^{3+} + SO_{4}^{2-} \leftrightharpoons HOSO_{2}^{-} + Fe(OH_{2})_{5}(OH)^{2+}[/itex]

Or should I ignore that reaction and only consider the below reaction?

[itex]Fe(OH_{2})_{6}^{3+} + H_{2}O \leftrightharpoons H_{3}O^{+} + Fe(OH_{2})_{5}(OH)^{2+}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Question is slightly ambiguous.

When you dissolve Fe3+ some of it will precipitate as Fe(OH)3, substantially lowering solution pH (check Ksp). Question doesn't say whether 0.20 M was the initial concentration of the sulfate, or is the final concentration after the precipitation. Not that the difference will be large.

4. Feb 3, 2014 #3

Qube

Gold Member

Good idea. We haven't covered solubility products yet; that's the next chapter. I'll just ignore precipitation but that is a valid concern. The 0.2M is referring to initial concentration of sulfate.

However, is the first, small extent reaction worth considering?

5. Feb 3, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would ignore sulfate and concentrate on the Fe3+ behavior, as it is much stronger acid than the sulfate anion is a base.

Unfortunately, this is kind of a problem that is hard to answer without guessing what the teacher had on mind [PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/grumpy_borek.png. [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted