Calculating pH, pOH, [OH-], and Kw at 37°C

• Thread starter spiff711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the pH and pOH of pure water at 37°C are both 6.8. This means that the concentration of [H+] and [OH-] are equal at 1.6x10^-7 M. Using the equation Kw= [H3O] x [OH], we can calculate Kw to be 1x10^-14 for water at this temperature. This is due to the autodissociation of water, where equal amounts of [H+] and [OH-] are produced. There may be some discrepancies with the actual value due to the increase in K with temperature.
spiff711
Problem:
The pH of pure water at 37°C is 6.80. Calculate Kw,
pOH, and [OH-] at this temperature.

Work:
pH: 6.8
pOH = 14 -6.8 = 7.2
[OH]: 10-7.2 = 6.3 x 10-8 M
Kw= [H3O] [OH] = 1.5 x 10-7 x 6.3 x 10-8 = 1x10-14

Real answer:
pH:6.8
pOH:6.8
[OH]: 1.6x10-7
Kw: 2.5 x 10-14

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beware my response here may be fundamentally flawed: but the question should give you both pH and pOH if you want to find Kw for water at 37 celslius.

In your "Work" section you bluntly assumed 1x10-14 for water, but this is NOT the value for water at 37 celsius.

Thanks for the response.

Well Kw= [H3O] x [OH]
So I got the value for pOH from the equation pk = 14 = pOH + pH.
I then found the concentrations for H3O and OH by using the formulas for pH (pH = -log [H3O]) and pOH ( pOH= -log[OH]). I then plugged those values into the orginal equation and got Kw = 1x10-14. I realize that is the value for water at 25o C but apart from the fact that K increases with temperature I don't know how else it ties in.

Where does the OH- comes from? Think about stoichiometry of the reaction. How is [OH-] related to [H+] if there are no other sources of both but water autodissociation?

Now this is clear (Borek, #4). The [H+] concentration is equal to the [OH-] concentration. All the values needed to determine the dissociation constant are present.

Edit- Never mind, I understand. The water dissociates into equal parts so the pH and pOH will both be 6.8. I think at least.

Thanks for the help!

1. How do you calculate pH at 37°C?

The formula for calculating pH at 37°C is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter at 37°C.

2. How do you calculate pOH at 37°C?

The formula for calculating pOH at 37°C is pOH = -log[OH-], where [OH-] is the concentration of hydroxide ions in moles per liter at 37°C.

3. How do you calculate [OH-] at 37°C?

The concentration of hydroxide ions at 37°C can be calculated using the formula [OH-] = 10^-pOH, where pOH is the negative logarithm of the hydroxide ion concentration.

4. What is Kw at 37°C?

Kw at 37°C is the equilibrium constant for the autoionization of water at that temperature. It is equal to 1.0 x 10^-14 at 37°C.

5. How do you use Kw to calculate pH or pOH at 37°C?

Kw can be used to calculate pH or pOH at 37°C by using the formula pH + pOH = 14 (at 37°C) or by using the individual equations for calculating pH and pOH mentioned above.