1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH problem

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    Problem:
    The pH of pure water at 37°C is 6.80. Calculate Kw,
    pOH, and [OH-] at this temperature.

Work:
    pH: 6.8
    pOH = 14 -6.8 = 7.2
    [OH]: 10-7.2 = 6.3 x 10-8 M
    Kw= [H3O] [OH] = 1.5 x 10-7 x 6.3 x 10-8 = 1x10-14

Real answer:
    pH:6.8
    pOH:6.8
    [OH]: 1.6x10-7
    Kw: 2.5 x 10-14

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Beware my response here may be fundamentally flawed: but the question should give you both pH and pOH if you want to find Kw for water at 37 celslius.

In your "Work" section you bluntly assumed 1x10-14 for water, but this is NOT the value for water at 37 celsius.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the response.

Well Kw= [H3O] x [OH]
    So I got the value for pOH from the equation pk = 14 = pOH + pH.
    I then found the concentrations for H3O and OH by using the formulas for pH (pH = -log [H3O]) and pOH ( pOH= -log[OH]). I then plugged those values into the orginal equation and got Kw = 1x10-14. I realize that is the value for water at 25o C but apart from the fact that K increases with temperature I don't know how else it ties in.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Where does the OH- comes from? Think about stoichiometry of the reaction. How is [OH-] related to [H+] if there are no other sources of both but water autodissociation?

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Now this is clear (Borek, #4). The [H+] concentration is equal to the [OH-] concentration. All the values needed to determine the dissociation constant are present.

7. Mar 29, 2009 #6
    Edit- Never mind, I understand. The water dissociates into equal parts so the pH and pOH will both be 6.8. I think at least.

Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook