1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phantom resistors

1. Jul 19, 2014 #1
    hi guys

I am attempting to solve a problem that has me scratching my head. I have a small connector PCB with one 8k resistor present. The connector is four way with the resistor terminals being the two inner pads. The outer two pads are short circuit together.

I solder two wires on the two inner pads(to the resistor) on the PCB. Then i apply a current of 100uA with a constant current source using a multimeter and measure 8k. Then I place the pcb in a container filled with tap water. After a few minutes I remove the pcb from the container. I measure a resistance of 8k between two inner terminals, and a resistance in the megaohm region between the outer terminal to the inner terminal( resistance of water present between pads) with 10uA.

Then i drive the circuit 100uA but now i measure a resistance of 2-3k, when measuring across the inner terminals.

so then i decided to let the pcb set in a oven for 30 minutes and took another measurement using 100uA and the value obtained was once again 8k.

so does this mean that with water present I was measuring 8k in parrallel with a phantom resistor, causing a lower resistance value read by the DMM?

The pads are really close to each other that i was expecting the water to short out the circuit and give me a value near zero not 2-3k and interestingly with 10uA it still measred 8k but with 100uA it measured 2-3k. I dont fully understand what happening here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The conductivity of water depends on impurities in it and can vary quite a bit.

It's also possible you were seeing some electrolysis (powered by the meter) or some other electrolytic action going on (dissimilar metals forming a "battery"?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook