Phantom Resistors: Solving Mysterious Readings

• Thread starter zak8000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a small connector PCB containing a resistor and the effects of water on its measurements. The resistance between the inner terminals was consistently 8k with 100uA, but when placed in water, the resistance between the outer and inner terminals varied and was lower with a higher current. It is suggested that this could be due to impurities in the water or electrolytic action.
zak8000
hi guys

I am attempting to solve a problem that has me scratching my head. I have a small connector PCB with one 8k resistor present. The connector is four way with the resistor terminals being the two inner pads. The outer two pads are short circuit together.

I solder two wires on the two inner pads(to the resistor) on the PCB. Then i apply a current of 100uA with a constant current source using a multimeter and measure 8k. Then I place the pcb in a container filled with tap water. After a few minutes I remove the pcb from the container. I measure a resistance of 8k between two inner terminals, and a resistance in the megaohm region between the outer terminal to the inner terminal( resistance of water present between pads) with 10uA.

Then i drive the circuit 100uA but now i measure a resistance of 2-3k, when measuring across the inner terminals.

so then i decided to let the pcb set in a oven for 30 minutes and took another measurement using 100uA and the value obtained was once again 8k.

so does this mean that with water present I was measuring 8k in parrallel with a phantom resistor, causing a lower resistance value read by the DMM?

The pads are really close to each other that i was expecting the water to short out the circuit and give me a value near zero not 2-3k and interestingly with 10uA it still measred 8k but with 100uA it measured 2-3k. I don't fully understand what happening here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The conductivity of water depends on impurities in it and can vary quite a bit.

It's also possible you were seeing some electrolysis (powered by the meter) or some other electrolytic action going on (dissimilar metals forming a "battery"?).

1. What are phantom resistors and how do they affect readings?

Phantom resistors are invisible or hidden resistors that can significantly affect the accuracy of readings in electronic circuits. They can be caused by unintentional connections or stray capacitance and can result in incorrect voltage or current measurements.

2. How can phantom resistors be identified?

Phantom resistors can be identified by performing a voltage drop test on the circuit. This involves measuring the voltage on each component and comparing it to the expected value. If there is a significant difference, it could indicate the presence of a phantom resistor.

3. How can phantom resistors be eliminated?

Phantom resistors can be eliminated by carefully inspecting the circuit for unintended connections or stray capacitance. These can be removed or isolated to prevent them from affecting the readings. Additionally, using shielded cables and components can help reduce the effects of phantom resistors.

4. What are the consequences of not addressing phantom resistors?

If phantom resistors are not addressed, they can lead to incorrect readings, which can result in faulty conclusions and potentially damage the circuit. They can also cause inconsistencies in data, making it difficult to replicate experiments or troubleshoot issues.

5. Are there any preventive measures to avoid phantom resistors?

Yes, there are preventive measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of phantom resistors. These include proper circuit design and layout, using shielded components and cables, and regularly checking for unintended connections or stray capacitance. It is also important to use high-quality components and follow best practices for circuit construction.