Ohm readings on a 3 prong clothes dryer

• Appliances
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
What are the typical ohm readings across the prongs of a plug on an unplugged 3-prong clothes dryer?
What are the typical ohm readings across the prongs of a plug on an unplugged 3-prong clothes dryer? - if such typical values exist.

I bought a used electric clothes dryer (Maytag Model MEDP576KW1 ) that I haven't plugged in yet. The seller is a reliable local business that says it works. When I measure the resistance between pairs of prongs on the cord, I get, as expected, an open circuit between the two hots and between the neutral and one of the hots. But the resistance between the neutral and the other hot is 127 ohms. This doesn't change when I fiddle with the controls on the dryer.

I took similar measurements on a working dryer that I unplugged. I get the same open circuits. Between the neutral and one of the hots, I get 17 K ohms. When I press the start button, it drops to 2 ohms.

Physics news on Phys.org
127 ohms would be expected across a power supply, before it starts.
17k ohms, dropping to 2 ohms, is a standby power supply, with an inductive fan or motor being connected when switched on.

Without mains voltage being applied to the appliance, it is unpredictable what resistance to expect. Check the circuit breaker rating for the outlet is sufficient, plug it in and switch it on, with a little caution.

Likes Stephen Tashi and berkeman
Baluncore said:
Check the circuit breaker rating for the outlet is sufficient, plug it in and switch it on, with a little caution.

I will as soon as I solve another problem - the power cord on the dryer is 3-prong and the receptacle for it is 4-prong. I debate whether to change the receptacle and leave its ground unconnected or whether to change the cord on the dryer. The dryer was not designed for a 4-wire cord, but it looks possible to ground it. My readings find only one connection point between the neutral and the chassis. It is at the terminal (temporarily disconnected) on the left in the photo
DryerConnections.JPG
. The terminal is on the end of a white wire that is part of the dryer's wiring, not part of the cord.

See page 7 of the installation manual at:
https://www.maytag.com/content/dam/.../installation-instructions-w11407405-reva.pdf

The existing wiring with the 3-conductor cord uses the Neutral of the 120/240V supply for a Safety Earth Ground. As a potential safety hazard,

THIS IS NOT ALLOWED IN MANY JURISDICTIONS.

The existence of a 4-prong outlet suggests you are in one of those jurisdictions.

Please get an electrician to install a 4-conductor cord/plug, and show him the manual page 7 for required internal wiring changes.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes pbuk, berkeman and Stephen Tashi

What should the typical Ohm reading be for a properly functioning 3-prong clothes dryer?

The typical Ohm reading for a 3-prong clothes dryer should generally be low, indicating good conductivity. Specifically, the resistance between the two hot prongs (usually the left and right slots) should be close to zero, as these are connected directly to the heating element. The resistance between each hot prong and the neutral/ground prong (usually the middle or L-shaped slot) should also be very low, typically less than 1 Ohm, indicating a proper ground and neutral connection.

How can I test the Ohm readings on a 3-prong clothes dryer?

To test the Ohm readings on a 3-prong clothes dryer, you will need a multimeter set to measure resistance (ohms). First, ensure the dryer is unplugged to avoid any electrical hazards. Attach one probe of the multimeter to one of the hot prongs and the other probe to the other hot prong to test the resistance of the heating element. Then, test between each hot prong and the neutral/ground prong. Record the resistance values to determine if they are within expected ranges.

What could cause high Ohm readings on a 3-prong dryer plug?

High Ohm readings on a 3-prong dryer plug can indicate several issues, including a faulty heating element, poor connection, or corrosion at the contacts. A high resistance in the heating element suggests it may be burnt out or damaged. Corrosion or loose connections at the plug or outlet can also increase resistance, disrupting the flow of electricity and potentially leading to inefficient dryer operation or safety hazards.

Can a faulty 3-prong plug affect dryer performance?

Yes, a faulty 3-prong plug can significantly affect dryer performance. Issues such as high resistance (Ohm readings) can lead to inadequate power delivery to the dryer. This can result in the dryer not heating properly, taking longer to dry clothes, or operating intermittently. Additionally, a faulty plug can pose electrical hazards, including the risk of fire or shock.

What steps should I take if the Ohm readings are not within the normal range?

If the Ohm readings on your 3-prong dryer are not within the normal range, first double-check your measurements to ensure accuracy. If readings are still incorrect, inspect the dryer cord and plug for any visible signs of damage or corrosion. Consider replacing the dryer cord or plug if they appear damaged. If the cord and plug seem intact, the issue may lie within the dryer itself, such as a faulty heating element or internal wiring issues. In such cases, consulting a professional technician for a thorough inspection and repair is recommended.