Phase Angle for Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase angle in simple harmonic motion, specifically in relation to the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. The first question asks if the phase angle, denoted as \phi, remains constant when deriving the equations for velocity and acceleration. The consensus is that it does not change as long as it is independent of time. The second question asks for clarification on the difference between phase angle, \phi, and phase, which is sometimes denoted as (\omegat + \phi). The response states that phase is dependent on time and is better referred to as "phase constant". It also explains how the phase changes with the maximum value of displacement and when it is equal to zero.
mneox
Phase Angle / Phase Question - Simple Harmonic Motion

Homework Statement

If I were given a function of displacement for simple harmonic motion in the form of:

x = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])

Would the phase angle, [tex]\phi[/tex], always be the same? Say if I derived the equations into forms for velocity and acceleration as well. The phase angle would not change.. is that correct?

Also, I am confused about what is the phase and what is the phase angle? My textbook lists the "phase angle" as [tex]\phi[/tex] and some other sources list "phase" as ([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex]). What's the difference between these??

Homework Equations

x = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
v = -[tex]\omega[/tex]Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
a = -[tex]\omega[/tex]2Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

My belief is that it wouldn't change, but I want to be 100% sure.

Thanks for your clarification!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sorry to "bump" a thread but it's been a while now and I still want some clarity on this. Can anyone offer help?

As far as your first question is concerned, phase does not change if you take derivative of 'x' as long as the phase is independent of time.

It is better to call Φ "the phase constant" It is not really angle, as no angle is involved in the SHM. Φ does not change if you calculate the time derivatives of the displacement. The phase is ωt+Φ. It depends on time. When x=Acos(ωt+Φ) has its maximum value the phase is 2kΠ (k is integer). And x=0 if ωt+Φ=(k+1/2)Π . ehild

I can confirm that the phase angle, denoted by \phi, remains constant throughout the simple harmonic motion. This means that no matter what form the equation is expressed in (displacement, velocity, or acceleration), the phase angle will remain the same.

The phase angle represents the initial starting point of the motion and is an important parameter in determining the behavior of the system. It is usually measured in radians and can range from 0 to 2\pi.

The phase, on the other hand, is the combination of the angular frequency (\omega) and the phase angle (\phi). It is expressed as (\omegat + \phi) and represents the current position in the oscillation cycle.

In summary, the phase angle is a fixed value that determines the starting point of the motion, while the phase is a variable that changes as the system oscillates. I hope this clarifies the difference between the two terms.

What is phase angle for simple harmonic motion?

Phase angle for simple harmonic motion is a measure of the position of an object at a specific point in time within a repeating cycle of motion. It is often represented by the symbol φ and is measured in radians or degrees.

How is phase angle related to frequency and period?

The phase angle is directly related to the frequency and period of simple harmonic motion. It is equal to the product of the frequency and the time, and also equal to the product of the period and the angular frequency (ω = 2πf).

How does phase angle affect the motion of an object?

The phase angle determines the position of an object at any given time within its cycle of motion. A larger phase angle will result in a greater displacement from the equilibrium position, while a smaller phase angle will result in a smaller displacement.

What is the difference between phase angle and phase shift?

Phase angle and phase shift are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Phase angle is a measure of the position of an object at a specific time, while phase shift is a measure of the time delay between two waves of the same frequency.

How is phase angle calculated?

The phase angle can be calculated using the formula φ = ωt, where φ is the phase angle, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, depending on the given information.