Phase Change and soundwaves

In summary: But what about cases where the reflected wave arrives at the rcvr in phase with the direct wave? In summary, Astronuc is thinking about a case where the xmtr and rcvr are on the same path, but the mountain is behind the rcvr. The 1/2 \lambda distance between the xmtr and rcvr would then be the minimum distance that produces destructive interference.
Arctangent
Hmm, more questions on phase change.

I was looking at this question:

"Waves from a radio station have a wavelength of 319 m. They travel by two paths to a home receiver 14.2 km from the transmitter. One path is a direct path, and the other is by reflection from a mountain directly behind the home receiver. What is the minimum distance from the mountain to the receiver that produces destructive interference at the receiver? (Assume that no phase change occurs on reflection from the mountain.)
Answer: 7.98e+01 m"

Now, it looks like the answer, to me, implies that the path difference is lambda/4. Why would it be lambda/4 and not lambda/2? Lambda/2 gives complete destructive interference.

Physics news on Phys.org
But then there is the distance of the mountain from the transmitter, which would perhaps also be distance of [itex]\lambda[/itex]/4, so over the two distances, the total distance would be [itex]\lambda[/itex]/2.

I think Astronuc is onto something, but it may not be quite that simple.
It seems that the receiver (rcvr) is 14.2km from the transmitter (xmtr). When they say the mountain is behind the rcvr, I sense they imply that the xmtr is in front of the rcvr. The rcvr is 14200/319 ≈ 44 1/2 [itex]\lambda[/itex] (wavelengths) away from the xmtr. The mountain could be 1/4 [itex]\lambda[/itex] behind the rcvr, so the the total path reflected off the mountain would be 44 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/4 = 45[itex]\lambda[/itex]. The difference between direct and reflected path would then be 1/2 [itex]\lambda[/itex] just as in Astronuc's example.

Last edited:
The number of wavelengths from transmitter to receiver is UNimportant .
These are traveling waves, not standing waves ; only the difference between wavelengths along each path determines the interference condition.

(I would point out that their presumption of no E-field flip is unrealistic.)

The question only refers to the minimum distance from the mountain to the receiver that produces destructive interference at the receiver.

Astronuc and I both used examples where the minimum reflected wave arrives at the rcvr [itex]1/2 \lambda [/itex] out of phase with a direct wave. The concept works when you picture the mountain along the same path as the xmtr and rcvr. Then the [itex]1/4 \lambda [/itex] distance between the mountain and rcvr makes sense. I agree, we need to make an assumption that the reflected wave does not change polarization.

Last edited:

1. What is a phase change?

A phase change occurs when a substance changes from one state of matter to another, such as from a solid to a liquid or from a liquid to a gas. This is known as a physical change and is usually caused by a change in temperature or pressure.

2. How do phase changes affect soundwaves?

When a substance undergoes a phase change, its density and molecular arrangement also change. This can affect the speed of soundwaves passing through the substance, as well as their amplitude and frequency. For example, sound travels faster through a solid than a gas due to the denser molecular arrangement.

3. Can soundwaves cause phase changes?

Yes, soundwaves can cause phase changes in certain substances. This phenomenon is known as acoustic cavitation, and it occurs when soundwaves create tiny bubbles in a liquid that eventually collapse and cause a phase change. This process is used in various industrial and medical applications.

4. How do different phases of matter affect the propagation of soundwaves?

The phase of matter can greatly affect the propagation of soundwaves. For example, sound travels through solids much faster than through liquids or gases due to the close proximity of molecules in a solid. Additionally, the density and elasticity of a substance can affect how soundwaves are transmitted through it.

5. Can phase changes affect the loudness of soundwaves?

Yes, phase changes can affect the loudness of soundwaves. When a substance undergoes a phase change, its density and molecular arrangement change, which can affect the amplitude of soundwaves passing through it. This is why sound may seem louder or softer when traveling through different phases of matter.