1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference in standing waves

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the standard standing wave equation, [tex]y=2Acos(2\pi \frac{x}{\lambda})sin(2\pi \frac{t}{T}).[/tex] We must prove that if two x-positions on the wave have an even number of nodes between them, they have a phase difference of 0, whereas in the opposite condition, they have a phase difference of [tex]\pi[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My teacher already gave us a graphical approach of the proof. but I would like to know if there is another one.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi petermer! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

I'm not sure what your question means, but anyway a node is a value of x for which y = 0 for all t.

So nodes are at t/T = n + π/2.

Can you take it from there? :smile:

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    Well, I'm just saying that if two x's have an even number of nodes between them, the phase inside the sine is [tex]2\pi \frac{t}{T}[/tex] if their y's are positive, or [tex]2\pi \frac{t}{T} + \pi[/tex] if their y's are negative. So they have a phase difference of 0. On the other hand, when the two x's have an odd number of nodes between them, it occurs that they have a phase difference of [tex]\pi[/tex] (with the same thought applied before). Therefore, I'm asking for a non-graphical proof of this.

P.S.: I'm using the equation of the standing wave, where x=0 is an anti-node. That is, [tex]y=2Acos(2\pi \frac{x}{\lambda})sin(2\pi \frac{t}{T})[/tex], x being the position on the x-axis, y the position on the y-axis, λ the wavelength, t the time in sec, and T the period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook