Phase difference in standing waves

• Thread starter petermer
  • Start date

Homework Statement

We have the standard standing wave equation, [tex]y=2Acos(2\pi \frac{x}{\lambda})sin(2\pi \frac{t}{T}).[/tex] We must prove that if two x-positions on the wave have an even number of nodes between them, they have a phase difference of 0, whereas in the opposite condition, they have a phase difference of [tex]\pi[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher already gave us a graphical approach of the proof. but I would like to know if there is another one.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi petermer! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

I'm not sure what your question means, but anyway a node is a value of x for which y = 0 for all t.

So nodes are at t/T = n + π/2.

Can you take it from there? :smile:

Well, I'm just saying that if two x's have an even number of nodes between them, the phase inside the sine is [tex]2\pi \frac{t}{T}[/tex] if their y's are positive, or [tex]2\pi \frac{t}{T} + \pi[/tex] if their y's are negative. So they have a phase difference of 0. On the other hand, when the two x's have an odd number of nodes between them, it occurs that they have a phase difference of [tex]\pi[/tex] (with the same thought applied before). Therefore, I'm asking for a non-graphical proof of this.

P.S.: I'm using the equation of the standing wave, where x=0 is an anti-node. That is, [tex]y=2Acos(2\pi \frac{x}{\lambda})sin(2\pi \frac{t}{T})[/tex], x being the position on the x-axis, y the position on the y-axis, λ the wavelength, t the time in sec, and T the period.