1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference of damped oscillations

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i cant understand why curve above is for under dampling and the below curve is increased dampling. can someone explain please?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123101228@N03/14296397365/
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello K,

Yes, but in order to help you better, some more context would be useful, so please share your own considerations and also give a clue as to where you are in knowing about forced oscillations, resonance, etc. After all your picture comes from somewhere where there is more to be found...

In the mean time: for f < f0 it seems pretty intuitive to me that more damping means that the driven oscillator is lagging behind more: it is being held back, so to say. And then continuing to higher f that tendency has no reason to change.

4. May 29, 2014 #3
    i cant upload the photo directly to this forum . i also dont know why. can you take some time to explain this? i read a lot of online notes but i cant find out why the curve above is for under dampling and the below curve is increased dampling

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted