Phase difference of damped oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of damping in forced oscillations and how it affects the behavior of the driven oscillator. The person asks for an explanation about a specific graph and mentions their difficulty in understanding the concept despite reading online notes. They also mention being unable to upload a photo for further clarification.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

i can't understand why curve above is for under dampling and the below curve is increased dampling. can someone explain please?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123101228@N03/14296397365/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello K,

Yes, but in order to help you better, some more context would be useful, so please share your own considerations and also give a clue as to where you are in knowing about forced oscillations, resonance, etc. After all your picture comes from somewhere where there is more to be found...

In the mean time: for f < f0 it seems pretty intuitive to me that more damping means that the driven oscillator is lagging behind more: it is being held back, so to say. And then continuing to higher f that tendency has no reason to change.

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Hello K,

Yes, but in order to help you better, some more context would be useful, so please share your own considerations and also give a clue as to where you are in knowing about forced oscillations, resonance, etc. After all your picture comes from somewhere where there is more to be found...

In the mean time: for f < f0 it seems pretty intuitive to me that more damping means that the driven oscillator is lagging behind more: it is being held back, so to say. And then continuing to higher f that tendency has no reason to change.

i can't upload the photo directly to this forum . i also don't know why. can you take some time to explain this? i read a lot of online notes but i can't find out why the curve above is for under dampling and the below curve is increased dampling

1. What is the definition of phase difference in damped oscillations?

The phase difference in damped oscillations refers to the difference in the timing or position of two oscillating objects or systems. In the case of damped oscillations, this difference is measured in terms of time, and it represents the delay or shift between the two oscillations. It is often represented in radians or degrees and can provide valuable information about the relationship between the two oscillations.

2. How is the phase difference of damped oscillations calculated?

The phase difference of damped oscillations can be calculated by using the formula Δϕ = ϕ1 - ϕ2, where Δϕ represents the phase difference, and ϕ1 and ϕ2 represent the phase angles of the two oscillations. The phase angle can be determined by finding the time at which the oscillation starts and measuring the elapsed time until the oscillation reaches a certain point. This process is repeated for both oscillations, and the phase difference is calculated using the formula.

3. What factors can affect the phase difference of damped oscillations?

There are several factors that can affect the phase difference of damped oscillations. These include the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, the damping coefficient, the initial conditions of the oscillations, and any external forces or disturbances acting on the system. Additionally, the type of damping (underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped) can also impact the phase difference of damped oscillations.

4. How does the phase difference change over time in damped oscillations?

In damped oscillations, the phase difference can change over time due to the damping effect. As the amplitude of the oscillations decreases, the phase difference between two oscillations also decreases. In other words, the oscillations become more in phase as time passes. This is because the damping effect reduces the delay between the two oscillations, eventually reaching a point where they are in phase. This can also be observed in the phase difference formula, where the phase difference decreases as the oscillations become more in phase.

5. How can the phase difference of damped oscillations be used in real-world applications?

The phase difference of damped oscillations has numerous practical applications in science and engineering. In physics, it is used to study and understand the behavior of oscillating systems, such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits. In engineering, it is used to design and analyze systems that involve oscillations, such as bridges, buildings, and electronic devices. It is also used in various fields, including acoustics, optics, and signal processing, to measure and control the timing of events and signals.