Phase Power Calculation: Determining Total Power Input into System

In summary: Is it resistive, or a mix of resistive and reactive?In summary, the student is trying to calculate the power for phase A, B, and C in order to determine the total power into the system. They have measured the VA and IA for each phase, but did not take the phase angle into account when calculating power. After being prompted to consider the phase angle, they used the equation P=VIcos(θv-θi) to calculate the power for each phase and found that the total power into the system is 2428.67 [w]. The student is unsure if they need to take the phase angle into account when calculating power and is asking for clarification on the nature of the load.
TurboST2

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the power for phase A, B, and C so that I can determine the total power into the system.

I have measured the following data:
VA magnitude = 117.7 [v]
VA angle = 0°
IA magnitude = 7.5 [A]
IA angle = -25.5°
VB magnitude = 117.7 [v]
VB angle = -124.1°
IB magnitude = 7.7 [A]
IB angle = -145.7°
VC magnitude = 117.2 [v]
VC angle = 117.5°
IC magnitude = 7.3 [A]
IC angle = 94.8°

Homework Equations

P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

Does this mean?:
Phase A power = 882.75 [w]
Phase B power = 906.29 [w]
Phase C power = 855.56 [w]

Total power into system = 2644.6 [w]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TurboST2 :welcome:

So you didn't take phase angle into account? That means you've calculated volt-amps for each phase, not watts.

Does your textbook show a formula for AC power?

Thank you for the helpful reply. No I did not take the phase angle into account. I wasn't sure if this was necessary for calculating power in this way.

Taking the angle into account would I use this equation instead? P=VIcos(θv-θi) giving the following results:

Pa = 796.75 [w]
Pb = 842.64 [w]
Pc = 789.28 [w]

Ptotal = 2428.67 [w]

If you showed the data you used in arriving at those new numbers, it would be easy to judge whether you are on the right track.

What is the nature of your load here?

1. What is phase power calculation?

Phase power calculation is the process of determining the total power input into a system by measuring the power in each individual phase and combining them together. It is an important concept in electrical engineering and is used to determine the overall power consumption of a system.

2. How is phase power calculated?

Phase power is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current in each phase and then summing up the results. This can be represented by the equation P = VI, where P is the power, V is the voltage, and I is the current. The total power input into the system is the sum of the power in each phase.

3. Why is phase power calculation important?

Phase power calculation is important because it allows us to determine the total power consumption of a system. This information is essential for designing and maintaining electrical systems, as well as for calculating energy costs and ensuring efficient use of power.

4. What factors can affect phase power calculation?

There are several factors that can affect phase power calculation, including the voltage and current levels in each phase, the power factor (a measure of how efficiently the power is being used), and any power losses in the system. It is important to take into account these factors when performing phase power calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. How is phase power calculation used in real-world applications?

Phase power calculation is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as in the design and maintenance of electrical systems, to determine energy costs for businesses and households, and to ensure efficient use of power in industrial settings. It is also an important concept in renewable energy systems, where phase power calculation is used to monitor and optimize power production.