Phasor Analysis of a Circuit

In summary: So the equation I have in my notes is:##V = IR + (j\omega L)^{-1}||(\frac{1}{j\omega C})##Which simplifies to:##V = IR + \frac{1}{j\omega C + \frac{1}{j\omega L}}##And from there I solve for C.
PenDraconis

Homework Statement

I have ##V = 25cos(1000t)## and ##I = Acos(1000t)## for a circuit, I'd like to make those into phasors.

Homework Equations

##V = Acos(\omega t+\theta)## ##\leftrightarrow## ##V = Ae^{j\theta}##

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like this is relatively simple, but that seems to be my problem, these are my two confusions:

##V = 25cos(1000t) = 25e^{j(1000t)}## ?​

Or is it:

##V = 25cos(1000t) = 25e^{0}## ?​

I'm not quite sure which route to go towards, could anyone possible point me towards the right direction or explain why it's one over the other? My main confusion is that if I change ##V = 25e^{j(1000t)}## back into it's cosine and sine components (using Euler's Identity) I end up with:
##V = 25cos(1000t)+jsin(1000t)##​
...is the imaginary part ignored?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does Euler's identity say about this part?

PenDraconis said:

Homework Statement

I have ##V = 25cos(1000t)## and ##I = Acos(1000t)## for a circuit, I'd like to make those into phasors.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like this is relatively simple, but that seems to be my problem, these are my two confusions:

##V = 25cos(1000t) = 25e^{j(1000t)}## ?​

Or is it:

##V = 25cos(1000t) = 25e^{0}## ?​
I am not sure what is your reasoning here. These two cannot be equal as the left side is a function of time and not the right side.
I'm not quite sure which route to go towards, could anyone possible point me towards the right direction or explain why it's one over the other? My main confusion is that if I change ##V = 25e^{j(1000t)}## back into it's cosine and sine components (using Euler's Identity) I end up with:
##V = 25cos(1000t)+jsin(1000t)##​
...is the imaginary part ignored?

You are right that there is a point that sometimes people do not explain well enough (or not at all). The key point is that the physical voltage is the real part of the corresponding phasor . So yes, in going from the phasor back to the actual voltage, one must drop the imaginary part.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
You are right that there is a point that sometimes people do not explain this point well enough (or not at all). The key point is that the physical voltage is the real part of the corresponding phasor . So yes, in going from the phasor back to the actual voltage, one must drop the imaginary part.

Thank you! I was just confused as to why this point was glossed over whenever I mentioned it in class, I wasn't able to ever get a straight answer.

The second part of the circuit I seem to understand, basically I have a RLC circuit and I must used phasor analysis to find the capacitance given R = 3, L = ##j4##, C =##\frac{-j}{1000C}##, ##V = 25e^{j1000t}##, ##I = Ae^{j1000t}##. It's simply finding the total resistance of the circuit and plugging that into a V = IR equation to find the value of C.

Last edited:
PenDraconis said:
Thank you! I was just confused as to why this point was glossed over whenever I mentioned it in class, I wasn't able to ever get a straight answer.

The second part of the circuit I seem to understand, basically I have a RLC circuit and I must used phasor analysis to find the capacitance given R = 3, L = ##j4##, C =##\frac{-j}{1000C}##, ##V = 25e^{j1000t}##, ##I = Ae^{j1000t}##. It's simply finding the total resistance of the circuit and plugging that into a V = IR equation to find the value of C.

Well, you cannot simply use Ohm's law. You also need to add the impedance of the inductor and of the capacitor. Can you calculate those? If the three elements are in series, you simply have
[itex] V = (R+ X_C + X_L) I [/itex] and solve. Watch out for the units, they must be consistent.

nrqed said:
Well, you cannot simply use Ohm's law. You also need to add the impedance of the inductor and of the capacitor. Can you calculate those? If the three elements are in series, you simply have
[itex] V = (R+ X_C + X_L) I [/itex] and solve. Watch out for the units, they must be consistent.

Yup! You're right.

Those are the impedances I gave. The resistor and inductor are in series and they're both in parallel with the capacitor.

What is phasor analysis?

Phasor analysis is a method used to analyze the behavior of an electrical circuit in the frequency domain. It involves representing the sinusoidal voltage and current signals in a complex number form, known as a phasor, and using mathematical operations to determine the circuit's response to these signals.

Why is phasor analysis important?

Phasor analysis is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a circuit at different frequencies without having to solve complex differential equations. This makes it a useful tool in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.

How do you represent a voltage or current signal as a phasor?

A voltage or current signal can be represented as a phasor by taking its amplitude, phase angle, and frequency and converting them into a complex number. The amplitude of the signal becomes the magnitude of the phasor, the phase angle becomes the angle of the phasor, and the frequency becomes the frequency of the phasor.

What is the difference between a real and imaginary phasor?

A real phasor has a phase angle of 0 degrees, meaning it has no imaginary component. It represents a real, or resistive, component of the circuit. An imaginary phasor has a phase angle of 90 degrees, meaning it has no real component. It represents an imaginary, or reactive, component of the circuit.

How do you perform calculations using phasors?

To perform calculations using phasors, you can use basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are carried out on the magnitude and angle of the phasors, and the result is then converted back into a sinusoidal form to determine the circuit's response.