Trouble Understanding Phasor to Time Domain Conversion Math

In summary, a phasor is a complex number representation of a sinusoidal waveform used for simplifying calculations in time domain math. It can be converted to the time domain by taking the inverse Fourier transform. The use of phasors allows for simpler calculations and is especially useful in electrical engineering for analyzing circuits and signals. Phasors can also be used for non-sinusoidal waveforms by breaking them down into sinusoidal components and using the inverse Fourier transform. Some common applications of phasors include analyzing AC circuits, signal processing, and telecommunications.
Mark Zhu
Homework Statement
See image attachment
Relevant Equations
I(d, t) = Re[I (d) e ^ jωt]
This is a problem about converting from the phasor to time domain. I am having trouble following the math that the textbook is doing.
I was thinking the final answer should be:
i(d, t) = 0.20 cos(ωt + βd + 159◦) - 0.091 cos(ωt − βd + 185.6◦)
emphasize the minus 0.091 instead of plus 0.091 as shown in the image attachment and textbook.
Am I missing something here? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 94
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it should be a minus sign. My arithmetic also gives me ## -.090 ##.

Thank you, I also consulted with someone else and we thought the textbook had made an error as well.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal at a specific frequency. It is often used in the analysis of electrical circuits and signals.

2. How is a phasor converted to the time domain?

A phasor can be converted to the time domain using the inverse Fourier transform. This converts the complex phasor into a sinusoidal waveform with a specific amplitude and phase at each point in time.

3. What is the purpose of using phasors in circuit analysis?

Phasors allow for the simplification of circuit analysis by representing complex sinusoidal signals as a single complex number. This makes calculations and analysis easier and more efficient.

4. Can phasors be used for non-sinusoidal signals?

No, phasors are only applicable to sinusoidal signals. For non-sinusoidal signals, other mathematical techniques such as the Laplace transform may be used.

5. How does the phase of a phasor affect the time-domain waveform?

The phase of a phasor determines the time shift of the sinusoidal waveform. A positive phase shift will result in the waveform being shifted to the left, while a negative phase shift will shift it to the right.