Phone a friend question and specific heat

In summary, the materials with the largest temperature rise when supplied with the same amount of heat will be Material B, with a specific heat value of 3900J/kg.K. Specific heat is defined as the amount of heat required to raise 1 Kg sample of a material by one Kelvin. Materials with high specific heat are typically used in cooling systems.
physicskillsme
Suppose I have the following materials with specific heat values as given:

Material A 5500J/kg.K

Material B 3900J/kg.K

Material C 9000J/kg.K

If I supply the same amount of heat to each which one will have the largest temperature rise?

More importantly why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give me a definition of specific heat? Look it up in your book, if necessary.

- Warren

Q=mc(deltaT)

Q=Energy, c=specific heat m=mass delta T is change of temperature

Specfic heat is #J/kg.K where Kelvin is the Temp and J is joules.

The specific heat of a material is the amount of heat required to raise 1 Kg sample of the material, one Kelvin.

physicskillsme said:
The specific heat of a material is the amount of heat required to raise 1 Kg sample of the material, one Kelvin.

That sentence is all you need to answer the question.

- Warren

So Material B because it has the lowest specific heat rating and won't require as much heat as the others?

Yes, therefore you use materials with high specific heat in cooling systems...

Okey Dokes - Thanks Nomy and Chroot - I appreciate your help.

Related to Phone a friend question and specific heat

1. What is the purpose of the "Phone a friend" lifeline in a game show?

The "Phone a friend" lifeline allows a contestant to reach out to a friend or family member for help in answering a question. This lifeline is often used when the contestant is unsure of the correct answer.

2. How does "Phone a friend" work in a game show?

The contestant is given a question and a set amount of time to use the "Phone a friend" lifeline. They can call a predetermined friend or family member to ask for help with the question. The friend or family member must provide their answer within the time limit.

3. Can I use "Phone a friend" more than once in a game show?

Each game show may have different rules regarding the use of lifelines, including "Phone a friend". Some shows may allow contestants to use this lifeline multiple times, while others may limit it to one use per game.

4. Why is "Phone a friend" often used for questions about specific heat in game shows?

Specific heat is a scientific concept that may not be familiar to everyone. By using "Phone a friend", the contestant can reach out to someone who may have more knowledge about the subject and increase their chances of getting the correct answer.

5. Is "Phone a friend" considered a reliable lifeline in a game show?

As with any lifeline, the reliability of "Phone a friend" depends on the person being called. If the friend or family member has knowledge or expertise in the topic being asked about, then their answer may be more reliable. However, there is always a chance that they may not know the correct answer.