Creating a Light-Activated Switch with a Photodetector Circuit

In summary, a photodiode detects when photons are entering it. Once it detects enough photons it starts doing its job and allows current to flow in the circuit (but only in one direction).
Nothing000
How would one set up a circuit where a photodetector closes a switch in a circuit once it detects light?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending on the photodector, you would probably bias it up and do a current-to-voltage converter circuit. Then take that output voltage and amplify it a bit to get enough power to close your switch (like a relay?).

Hey berkeman. How are you? I am only in my second week of my first circuits course, so could you explain what you just said in slightly more detail.

I would probably want to use a PhotoConductor, huh?

Nothing000 said:
I would probably want to use a PhotoConductor, huh?
A photodiode is what you want to use.

Is this coursework?

No, just curious.

A photodiode you say? So let me know if I am correct. A photodiode detects when photons are entering it. When it detects enough photons it starts doing its job. Am I right so far?
The job that it does is it allows current to flow in the circuit (but only in one direction).
Is that right?

If I am right then wouldn't the photodiode act just like a switch only it "opens/closes" by the detection of light?

Nothing000 said:
Hey berkeman. How are you? I am only in my second week of my first circuits course, so could you explain what you just said in slightly more detail.
Hi 000, I forget if I recommended this book to you already, but "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill is a good book to get to augment your early studies. It explains all about photodiodes and current-to-voltage conversion using opamps. Here's wikipedia's entry on photodiodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodiode

Thanks berkeman. I will pick up that book. And I read wikipedia's entry on photodiodes. I have extracted from that article that a photodiode would act just like a switch. The switch is open when no light is detected, and it closes when it detects light. Am I right?
Because that's what I want to do. I want to close a circuit when it detects light, and open it when it is dark.

Nothing000 said:
Thanks berkeman. I will pick up that book. And I read wikipedia's entry on photodiodes. I have extracted from that article that a photodiode would act just like a switch. The switch is open when no light is detected, and it closes when it detects light. Am I right?
Because that's what I want to do. I want to close a circuit when it detects light, and open it when it is dark.
No. When light hits a photodiode, a reverse photocurrent is generated. This photocurrent is small, so you need amplification to do anything with it.

berkeman said:
Depending on the photodector, you would probably bias it up and do a current-to-voltage converter circuit. Then take that output voltage and amplify it a bit to get enough power to close your switch (like a relay?).

So would this apply to a photodiode as the photodetector?

Nothing: Check into a phototransistor. It behaves more like what you originally assumed. If I remember correctly, the ones I have used are 2 leaded devices.

I don't want to get ahead of your learning curve but http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/PhotoDetectors.html" gives some circuits using various detectors as suggested by Beckeman and Averagesupernova.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Kick butt. Thanks dlgoff.

1. How does a photodetector circuit work?

A photodetector circuit works by converting light energy into electrical signals. This is achieved by using a photosensitive material, such as a semiconductor, which produces a charge when exposed to light. The circuit then amplifies and processes this charge to produce an output signal.

2. What components are needed to set up a photodetector circuit?

The main components needed to set up a photodetector circuit include a photodetector, such as a photodiode or phototransistor, a power source, and supporting circuitry such as resistors, capacitors, and amplifiers. Additional components may be needed depending on the specific application.

3. How do you calibrate a photodetector circuit?

To calibrate a photodetector circuit, you will need to measure the output signal of the circuit for a known input light intensity. This can be done using a light source with a known intensity and a light meter or oscilloscope to measure the output signal. The measured values can then be used to adjust the circuit as needed to achieve accurate readings.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a photodetector circuit?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of a photodetector circuit, including temperature, ambient light, and aging of the components. It is important to consider these factors and calibrate the circuit regularly to ensure accurate measurements.

5. What are some common applications of photodetector circuits?

Photodetector circuits have a wide range of applications, including light sensing and control, optical communication, medical devices, and industrial automation. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, cameras, and optical readers.