Photons and the photoelectric effect

In summary, the maximum wavelegnth for which an electromagnetic wave can eject electrons from a platinum surface is 196 nm. When radiation with a wavelength 141 nm shines on the surface, the max speed of the ejected electrons is 1.5306E15 eV.
mandymanny

Homework Statement

the maximum wavelegnth for which an electromagnetic wave can eject electrons from a platinum surface is 196 nm. when radiation with a wavelength 141 nm shines on the surface, what is the max speed of the ejected electrons?

Homework Equations

f=c/λ
E=hf
E=Φ+K
Φ=hf0

The Attempt at a Solution

λ=196nm
f=(3E8)/(196E-9)
f=1.5306E15
E=Φ+K
(6.63E-34)(f??)=(Φ??)+K
K=??

λ=141nm
f=(3E8)/(141E-9)
f=2.127E15
E=Φ+K
(6.63E-34)(f??)=(Φ??)+K
K=??

K1-K2=_______
K=1/2mv^2 to find v

but i don't know what numbers to plug in as f?? and Φ??
i tried putting in the f values i found using the given wavelengths but i kept getting K=0

please help

thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
phi is the workfunction of the metal, which is related to the minimum wavelength required to eject an electron. If the energy input is the energy of the workfunction and nothing else, the kinetic energy will be zero of the electron

im having the same problem where I am supposed to find its max. kinetic energy of the photoelectron in electron volts(eV) and joules(J), but I am completely stuck.

if i use hf = Emax + work, i have planks constant (h) and frequency, but there are two variables left to find...please help me out

Hi sodr2,

sodr2 said:
im having the same problem where I am supposed to find its max. kinetic energy of the photoelectron in electron volts(eV) and joules(J), but I am completely stuck.

if i use hf = Emax + work, i have planks constant (h) and frequency, but there are two variables left to find...please help me out

If it's the same type of problem as in the original problem, use the equation twice. Once for the case of the maximum wavelength (and think about what being the maximum wavelength means for the other terms in the equation).

Then use it separately for the next given (smaller) wavelength to find the kinetic energy.

With two equations, you can have two unknowns. What do you get?

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and momentum. It is the basic unit of electromagnetic radiation and is considered both a particle and a wave.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This occurs when photons of light transfer their energy to electrons in the material, causing them to be ejected.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of light and the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to the frequency of the light it carries. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

4. Can the photoelectric effect be observed with all types of light?

No, the photoelectric effect can only be observed with light of a certain frequency, known as the threshold frequency. If the frequency of light is below this threshold, no electrons will be emitted from the material.

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in technology?

The photoelectric effect is used in a variety of technologies, including solar panels, photocopiers, and digital cameras. By harnessing the process of converting light into electrical energy, these technologies are able to function effectively.