Physcially, how electrons choose the path with min resistance

In summary: H and D are the magnetic and electric fields produced by the material itself (polarization and magnetization).4-Do you advise me for reading some references or books that give my need of depth understanding of differences B , H and depth understanding of electricityI need in brief true understanding of definations and more understanding of maxwell meaning not math?Some good references for understanding the differences between B and H, and D and E are "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. For a more in-depth understanding of electricity and Maxwell's equations, you can refer to "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell and "
klmnopq
physcially, how electrons choose the path with min resistance

if 2 paths of 2 differnet resistances
electrons distributed & may if short circuit exist it take it

how electrons know there is short circuit and how they know the path of min resistance !

Another question of a connection 2 resistances on parellel

why the voltage is the same (voltage is energy loss on resistances isn't it)

is there is verification of V=IR?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi klmnopq! welcome to pf! :smile:
klmnopq said:
physcially, how electrons choose the path with min resistance

if 2 paths of 2 differnet resistances
electrons distributed & may if short circuit exist it take it

how electrons know there is short circuit and how they know the path of min resistance !

they don't all take the short circuit path!

the voltage is the same along both parts, so the current in each part is inversely proportional to the resistance

if the short circuit has one-millionth of the resistance, it will have one million times the current

current is just another name for amount of charge per second, so only one charge in a million will go along the "long" circuit :wink:
… a connection 2 resistances on parellel

why the voltage is the same (voltage is energy loss on resistances isn't it)

voltage is defined as the difference in electric potential, ie the difference in potential energy per charge

potential energy depends only on the start and end points, so the voltage does also :wink:
is there is verification of V=IR?

V = IR works only for ohmic materials

not all materials are ohmic

you have to test individual materials to see if they are ohmic :wink:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law#Scope
Ohm's law is an empirical law, a generalization from many experiments that have shown that current is approximately proportional to electric field for most materials.

It is less fundamental than Maxwell's equations and is not always obeyed.​

Purely classical explanation attempt-
Physically you can imagine there being a chain of electrons. Their actual movements are almost random except for a drift velocity in the direction of the electric forces acting on them. If we represent the electrons as a chain, then you can imagine the closest one to the beginning of a resistor as being at the end of a part of a chain. This last electron experiences an electric force large enough that it passes through while the resistor applies an impeding force. The speed at which electrons move into the resistor depends on the resistor's resistance. Some "chains" of electrons moving through a resistor are faster than another - simply because the resistors resist the motion of the electrons differently.

tiny-tim said:
hi klmnopq! welcome to pf! :smile:they don't all take the short circuit path!

the voltage is the same along both parts, so the current in each part is inversely proportional to the resistance

if the short circuit has one-millionth of the resistance, it will have one million times the current

current is just another name for amount of charge per second, so only one charge in a million will go along the "long" circuit :wink:voltage is defined as the difference in electric potential, ie the difference in potential energy per charge

potential energy depends only on the start and end points, so the voltage does also :wink:V = IR works only for ohmic materials

not all materials are ohmic

you have to test individual materials to see if they are ohmic :wink:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law#Scope
Ohm's law is an empirical law, a generalization from many experiments that have shown that current is approximately proportional to electric field for most materials.

It is less fundamental than Maxwell's equations and is not always obeyed.​

really, thanks for your welcome & post.
It's really useful for me.
But I still have some questions :: -
1-How the charges (see) the short circuit path & send milions of itself(charges) to this way & let only few take the other pass ! (from the view of charges))

2-OHM's law can be verified from maxwell ? if yes how?!

3- What's the difference in Magenetic between B,H or in electric between D,E?
4-Do you advise me for reading some references or books that give my need of depth understanding of differences B , H and depth understanding of electricity
I need in brief true understanding of definations and more understanding of maxwell meaning not math?

thanks very much for you
salzrah said:
Purely classical explanation attempt-
Physically you can imagine there being a chain of electrons. Their actual movements are almost random except for a drift velocity in the direction of the electric forces acting on them. If we represent the electrons as a chain, then you can imagine the closest one to the beginning of a resistor as being at the end of a part of a chain. This last electron experiences an electric force large enough that it passes through while the resistor applies an impeding force. The speed at which electrons move into the resistor depends on the resistor's resistance. Some "chains" of electrons moving through a resistor are faster than another - simply because the resistors resist the motion of the electrons differently.
thanks also for your replay,
but if I understood you,
you mean that electrons take the other pass when they overcrowd at (high resistance)??__________
thanks a lot and awaiting your replies.

hi klmnopq! :smile:
klmnopq said:
1-How the charges (see) the short circuit path & send milions of itself(charges) to this way & let only few take the other pass ! (from the view of charges))

because the short circuit path is easy, and the other path is hard

it's like pumping air into a pair of tubes, one filled with Earth and the other filled with marbles …

the air finds it more difficult to push through the earth, so most of it (not all) goes through the marbles

(as to why that is, you need to study quantum theory and how the electrons move around the material)
2-OHM's law can be verified from maxwell ? if yes how?!

no, it can't

it's empirical … we have to check it by experiment for each material

even when it does apply, it's only approximate
3- What's the difference in Magenetic between B,H or in electric between D,E?

basically, B and E are the total magnetic field and electric field, caused by all the charge

but H and D are the "free" fields, caused only by the free charge

this is a bit complicated, so if you want to know any more, please start another thread! :wink:
2-if The supply voltage constant (as in home) connected to lamp
and the current drawn from supply must return to it !
What drawn then from supply (voltage constant current returned)?
I know the answer is the power but I can't understand physcially !

the battery puts energy in, and the lamp takes energy out

it's like water flowing past a water-wheel, and turning it … the water's speed is the same both before and after the wheel, but it's less than it would be if the wheel wasn't there
And also, what make the lamp more strengt light ?? the voltage or the current or the power

the power (power is energy per time, and the amount of light depends on the amount of energy) :smile:

tiny-tim said:

because the short circuit path is easy, and the other path is hard

it's like pumping air into a pair of tubes, one filled with Earth and the other filled with marbles …

the air finds it more difficult to push through the earth, so most of it (not all) goes through the marbles

(as to why that is, you need to study quantum theory and how the electrons move around the material)

no, it can't

it's empirical … we have to check it by experiment for each material

even when it does apply, it's only approximate

basically, B and E are the total magnetic field and electric field, caused by all the charge

but H and D are the "free" fields, caused only by the free charge

this is a bit complicated, so if you want to know any more, please start another thread! :wink:

the battery puts energy in, and the lamp takes energy out

it's like water flowing past a water-wheel, and turning it … the water's speed is the same both before and after the wheel, but it's less than it would be if the wheel wasn't there

the power (power is energy per time, and the amount of light depends on the amount of energy) :smile:

thanks very much
but I also wonder how the power is the affecting factor of lightining strength of lamp
I see that the human get shocked by electricity if the current was .. the effect is ..

so, Is the current determine or power or voltage and why??

And I opened thread on magnetics I wish seeing you there

(btw, we say "i hope to see you there", or "i look forward to seeing you there" :wink:)
klmnopq said:
… I also wonder how the power is the affecting factor of lightining strength of lamp

light is energy, and energy is proportional to power, so lighting strength is proportional to power

for a particular lamp, R is fixed, and the power is V2/R, so it is proportional, not to the voltage, but to the square of the voltage

if you use a dimmer switch, that reduces the voltage … if you reduce it to a half, you reduce the lighting strength to a quarter
I see that the human get shocked by electricity if the current was .. the effect is ..

i don't actually know how electricity affects the body … i assume it has something to do with stopping the heart, but i don't know whether that's caused by current or power :confused:

you'd better ask this in the mdeical sciences forum :wink:

tiny-tim said:

(btw, we say "i hope to see you there", or "i look forward to seeing you there" :wink:)

light is energy, and energy is proportional to power, so lighting strength is proportional to power

for a particular lamp, R is fixed, and the power is V2/R, so it is proportional, not to the voltage, but to the square of the voltage

if you use a dimmer switch, that reduces the voltage … if you reduce it to a half, you reduce the lighting strength to a quarter

i don't actually know how electricity affects the body … i assume it has something to do with stopping the heart, but i don't know whether that's caused by current or power :confused:

you'd better ask this in the mdeical sciences forum :wink:

Thanks very much
I wonder if you give me some tutorials of depth understanding of Electromagenetic not math but depth understanding and material for ansys maxwell

you could try googling "ansys maxwell tutorial" :smile:

what about depth understanding Electromagnetic not the math approach

1. What factors influence the path an electron takes with minimum resistance?

The path an electron takes with minimum resistance is influenced by several factors, including the material the electron is passing through, the temperature of the material, and the presence of any impurities or defects in the material.

2. How do electrons "choose" the path with min resistance?

Electrons do not actively choose the path with minimum resistance. Instead, they are influenced by the properties of the material they are passing through and will naturally take the path of least resistance.

3. Can electrons change their path with min resistance?

Yes, electrons can change their path with minimum resistance if the properties of the material they are passing through change. Factors such as temperature, impurities, and defects can alter the resistance of a material and therefore change the path an electron will take.

4. How does the concept of Ohm's Law relate to the path an electron takes with min resistance?

Ohm's Law states that the current flowing through a material is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the material. Therefore, as resistance decreases, the current will increase, leading to the electrons taking the path of least resistance.

5. Are there any exceptions to the concept of electrons taking the path with min resistance?

In some cases, electrons may not always take the path with minimum resistance. This can occur in materials with complex structures or in the presence of strong magnetic fields, where the path of least resistance may not be the most direct path for the electrons.