1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physical Chemistry-Gas Laws (Find R and M)

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Thanks ahead of time for any help!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From Atkins Physical Chemistry text, 9th Edition:
    1.7b) The following data has been obtained for oxygen gas at 273.15 K. Calculate the best value of the gas constant R from them and the best value of the molar mass of O2 (oxygen).

p(in atm)
    P1=0.750 000
    P2= 0.500 000
    P3=0.250 000

Vm [molar volume] (in dm^3/mol)
    Vm1= 29.8649
    Vm2=44.8090
    Vm3=89.6384

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

To find R, I used R= (Vm P)/ T to find the different Rs for each set of data, then used y=mx+b (using data points [P, R]) to extrapolate back to when p=0 (when ideal gas is most accurate; so that means the y intercept which was equivalent to R).

I know you can just graph it and get the same result. Either way, I got R= 0.0820614 dm^3 atm/K mol.

Now I'm lost. How do I set it up to find molar mass? Do I extrapolate using a graph again? I'm not given density, so it throws a wrench in a lot of the equations I tried using, like:
    Vm= M/ density = RT/P= V/n

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea - I can't think of any approach that will let calculate molar mass from the given data.

That's to let you know someone actually read your post and spend a moment thinking how to help.

It can always be an error in the book. I can be also missing something.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    Thanks. I know that in the old editions, density is given, but density was omitted for the 9th edition. Not sure if it was a mistake or if it was to make the question trickier!

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Must be mistake then.

--

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook