Physical Chemistry-Gas Laws (Find R and M)

  • Thread starter Thread starter bluegreen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laws Physical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
bluegreen
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Homework Statement


From Atkins Physical Chemistry text, 9th Edition:
1.7b) The following data has been obtained for oxygen gas at 273.15 K. Calculate the best value of the gas constant R from them and the best value of the molar mass of O2 (oxygen).

p(in atm)
P1=0.750 000
P2= 0.500 000
P3=0.250 000

Vm [molar volume] (in dm^3/mol)
Vm1= 29.8649
Vm2=44.8090
Vm3=89.6384

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



To find R, I used R= (Vm P)/ T to find the different Rs for each set of data, then used y=mx+b (using data points [P, R]) to extrapolate back to when p=0 (when ideal gas is most accurate; so that means the y intercept which was equivalent to R).

I know you can just graph it and get the same result. Either way, I got R= 0.0820614 dm^3 atm/K mol.

Now I'm lost. How do I set it up to find molar mass? Do I extrapolate using a graph again? I'm not given density, so it throws a wrench in a lot of the equations I tried using, like:
Vm= M/ density = RT/P= V/n
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea - I can't think of any approach that will let calculate molar mass from the given data.

That's to let you know someone actually read your post and spend a moment thinking how to help.

It can always be an error in the book. I can be also missing something.
 
Thanks. I know that in the old editions, density is given, but density was omitted for the 9th edition. Not sure if it was a mistake or if it was to make the question trickier!