Physical pendulum with air friction

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the differential equation and period of a physical pendulum for a control system course. The pendulum has a mass of m, length of l, and a spherical mass of M. The relevant equations for this problem are needed, including the use of Stokes equation for air friction. The Navier-Stokes equation is mentioned as a way to model air friction, but the use of -k.v for a force due to friction is considered more appropriate. The conversation ends with the question of how to include this force in the differential equation and what the value of k should be.
congman

Homework Statement

For my control system course i need to derive differential equation and period of a physical pendulum.
Pendulum rod's mass is m, length is l and has a spherical mass M

Homework Equations

i need relevant equatins so obviously :D

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that i should use stoke's equation for air firicition but i couldn't find out how.
in some posts period of a physical pendulum is given but i need to solve max. angle

Thank andd sorry about my crappy englisf.İ hope i can define my question

Physics news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pendp.html#c1

Learn this first, then worry about the air friction, if you're in a course that's apparently wanting you to use an advanced differential equation and you're asking for pendulum equations, you probably need to do some reading

i know the pyhsical pendulum. İ do not need to solve differantial equation.İ just need to derive it.İ find a lot of sources about it but none of them include air friction.
and thaks for the reply

You probably don't have to go back to "Navier-Stokes". Generally speaking, friction can be modeled by [itex]-k dy/dx[/itex] or [itex]-k(d^2y/dx^2)[/itex]. Which do you think is approriate here?

i think -k.v is more approriate for my case

If it's a control systems course I wouldn't put it past an engineering demon professor to have required it with navier stokes. But yah, if they just said model air friction, throwing in a velocity or velocity squared dependent force makes it plenty difficult I'd think

pimg124.gif

This is the differential equation of a physical pendulum with no air friction.
In my case there will be a force because of friction and it will be -k.v

My problem is how to include this force to the dif. equ. and what will be the k?

Attachments

• pimg124.gif
    pimg124.gif
    933 bytes · Views: 392

1. What is a physical pendulum with air friction?

A physical pendulum with air friction is a type of pendulum that experiences resistance from air as it swings back and forth, as opposed to a frictionless pendulum. This resistance affects the pendulum's motion and can cause it to lose energy and decrease in amplitude over time.

2. How does air friction affect the motion of a physical pendulum?

Air friction, or air resistance, acts in the opposite direction of the pendulum's motion and causes it to lose energy. This loss of energy results in a decrease in amplitude and a shorter period of oscillation for the pendulum.

3. What factors can impact the amount of air friction experienced by a physical pendulum?

The amount of air friction experienced by a physical pendulum can be affected by the shape and size of the pendulum, the density and viscosity of the air, and the speed of the pendulum's motion.

4. How can we calculate the effect of air friction on a physical pendulum?

The effect of air friction on a physical pendulum can be calculated using equations such as the Damped Harmonic Oscillator equation, which takes into account the pendulum's mass, length, and the damping coefficient of air friction.

5. Can air friction be eliminated from a physical pendulum?

No, air friction cannot be completely eliminated from a physical pendulum. However, it can be minimized by reducing the pendulum's surface area, increasing its mass, or using a more viscous fluid instead of air, such as oil.