Physics:finding torque equation in static equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the torque equation to a diagram with a pivot point and lever arm. It is clarified that any force component perpendicular to the lever arm should be included in the equation, and the included angle is important for determining the magnitude of the torque.
r3dxP
http://www.rwc.uc.edu/koehler/biophys/2h.html
search keyword : " 80 W sin 13 = 40 W l sin 13 + 7 Fj cos 45 "

look at the picture above the keyword you just searched for..
i don't understand why you would add 7 Fj cos45 to the torque equation. I thought we only consider the forces perpendicular to the 'lever arm'. The Fj is on the pivot, so shouldn't we not take Fj into consideration for the torque equation? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those diagrams could use some better clarification, where's the pivot point?

whozum said:
Those diagrams could use some better clarification, where's the pivot point?
well, I am guessing that the pivot of this diagram is the little line, which would be the 'joint'.and the lever arm would be the long line part.

I guess the pivot point is the point where the arrow with the 80 right next to it is pointing.In that case, [itex]F_j[/itex] does apply a torque about that point since it is not parallel to the smallest thick line. I guess that's the best way to illustrate that given that diagram?

well.. what exactly are you suppose to include in your torque equation? i thought only tthe forces that are perpendicular to lever arm(the main base line) are only considered in the torque equation..

Any force component that is perpendicular to the lever arm. If your level arm vector is [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] and your force vector is [itex] \vec{F} [/tex] then your torque equation would be

[itex] \tau = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex] which evaluates to [itex] \tau = |\vec{r}||\vec{F}|\sin(\theta)[/tex] where [itex] \theta[/itex] is the included angle. If the vectors are completely parallel (or antiparallel) the included angle is 0 (or [itex] \pi [/itex]) and the sin of the angle will give 0, resulting in the torque being 0. Otherwise, the sin value scales the quantity to provide the correct amount of torque given the angle between the vectors.

oh, i got it thanks a bunch

FAQ: Physics:finding torque equation in static equilibrium

1. What is torque in physics?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you find the equation for torque in static equilibrium?

The equation for torque in static equilibrium is T = F * d * sin(theta), where T is the torque, F is the applied force, d is the distance from the axis of rotation, and theta is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meter (N*m) in the SI system, or foot-pound (ft*lb) in the Imperial system.

4. What is the principle of static equilibrium in physics?

The principle of static equilibrium states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of all forces acting on the object must be equal to zero and the sum of all torques acting on the object must also be equal to zero.

5. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion, as it is the cause of rotational acceleration. The greater the torque applied, the greater the rotational acceleration of an object will be.