Physics Introductory Diffraction Pattern Problem

In summary, to find the distance from the single slit to the screen where the first minimum in the diffraction pattern is 1.82 mm from the central maximum, the equation a*sin(theta)=lambda can be used. However, the angle of .0483 obtained may be incorrect due to a possible error in inputting the numbers. A diagram can help visualize the relationship between theta, the distance to the screen, and the distance from the slit to the first minimum on the screen.
RandallK

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 588 nm illuminates a single 0.70 mm wide slit. At what distance from the slit should a screen be placed if the first minimum in the diffraction pattern is to be 1.82 mm from the central maximum?

Homework Equations

Im not sure on the equation, someone told me you need to find the angle. The formula for the angle is: a*sin(theta)=lambda. A being the width of the slit, and Lambda being the wavelength.

The Attempt at a Solution

However if I plug that in I get the angle as .0483. I solve for the angle by: .00059 mm/ .70 mm =8.429 E^-4. Sin^-1(8.429 E^-4) =.0483. I don't see how the angle could be .0483 and I am not sure what the next step is after.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Randall

Physics news on Phys.org
RandallK said:
I solve for the angle by: .00059 mm/ .70 mm =8.429 E^-4. Sin^-1(8.429 E^-4) =.0483.
You must have keyed the digits in in the wrong order. For such small angles, sin theta is almost the same as theta.
Draw a diagram. The relationship between theta, the distance to the screen and the distance from centre to first minimum on the screen should be obvious.

1. What is diffraction in physics?

Diffraction in physics refers to the bending or spreading out of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. It is a fundamental principle of wave behavior and can be observed in various phenomena, such as light passing through a narrow slit or sound waves around a corner.

2. How does diffraction affect the formation of a pattern?

Diffraction can cause the formation of a pattern by interfering with the original wave and creating secondary waves. These secondary waves can either reinforce or cancel out each other, resulting in a distinct pattern. The size and shape of the opening or obstacle, as well as the wavelength of the wave, can affect the resulting pattern.

3. What is the difference between diffraction and interference?

Diffraction and interference are both phenomena that occur when waves interact with each other, but they are distinct processes. Diffraction is the bending or spreading out of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle, while interference is the interaction between two or more waves that results in their reinforcement or cancellation at certain points.

4. What are some real-life examples of diffraction?

Diffraction can be observed in various natural and man-made situations. Some examples include the colorful patterns formed by light passing through a CD or DVD, the rainbow-like patterns created by oil on water, and the sound of a voice traveling through a partially open door.

5. How is diffraction used in scientific research?

Diffraction is a useful tool in scientific research as it allows scientists to study the properties of waves and their behavior. It is commonly used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and radio astronomy to analyze and understand the patterns formed by waves. Diffraction patterns can also provide valuable information about the structure of materials, making it an important tool in fields like crystallography and microscopy.