Finding Specific Heat of Metal in Physics Lab | Struggling with Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a lab where the objective is to find the specific heat of a metal using different temperatures. The lab involves 200g of water at an initial temperature of 20 degrees Celsius and an 80g metal ball at an initial temperature of 75 degrees Celsius. The equilibrium temperature when the metal ball is put into the water is 47.5 degrees Celsius. The specific heat of the metal is calculated to be 2.5 cal/ g x Celsius, but the system is not accepting this answer. The data entry format may be the issue.
astru025
In this lab I am supposed to find specific heat of metal, and then recalculate the specific heat using a final temp. 1 degree Celsius above and below measured value. I am really struggling with finding this specific heat of the metal.

The lab is this: mass of water: 200 g. Initial temp of water: 20 degree Celsius. Mass of metal ball: 80 g. Initial temp of metal ball: 75 degree Celsius. Equilibrium twmperature when metal ball is put into water: 47.5 degree Celsius. For specific heat of the metal I got 2.5 cal/ g x Celsius. It keeps saying this is wrong... The box I'm putting it in says "Cmetal using Tf". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know this isn't a whole lot of information but I hope someone can help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi astru025.

Please use the Homework formatting template provided when you start a new thread.

Your numeric result (2.5) looks okay to me for the units you've indicated, so perhaps the system is expecting some other units or for them to be specified in a different way? What is the data entry format?

1. What is the purpose of finding the specific heat of metal in a physics lab?

The specific heat of a metal is an important physical property that is used to determine the amount of heat energy required to change the temperature of a specific amount of metal. This information is useful for a variety of applications, including designing heating and cooling systems and understanding the thermal properties of different materials.

2. How is the specific heat of metal calculated in a physics lab?

The specific heat of metal is calculated by measuring the mass and initial temperature of the metal, then heating it to a specific temperature and measuring the final temperature. The change in temperature, along with the heat energy applied, can be used to calculate the specific heat using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What are some common challenges when finding the specific heat of metal in a physics lab?

Some common challenges when finding the specific heat of metal in a physics lab include accurately measuring the mass and temperature of the metal, ensuring that the metal is heated evenly and to the desired temperature, and accounting for any heat loss to the surrounding environment.

4. How can one improve the accuracy of specific heat calculations in a physics lab?

To improve the accuracy of specific heat calculations, it is important to carefully measure all variables, including mass and temperature, and to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistent results. Additionally, using more precise equipment and minimizing heat loss to the environment can also improve accuracy.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the specific heat of metal?

Understanding the specific heat of metal is important for designing and optimizing heating and cooling systems, such as in buildings and automobiles. It is also useful for understanding the thermal properties of different materials, which can inform the design of products and structures for specific environments and temperatures. Additionally, the specific heat of metal is important in fields such as chemistry, where it is used to calculate the enthalpy of reactions.