Physics Project Help: Comparing Energy Efficiency for Lever Arm Setups

In summary, The conversation is about comparing the energy efficiency of two setups in a physics experiment involving a lever arm and a projectile. The experiment used a base made of wood and metal cylinder as the pivot. The data collected includes time of flight, distance traveled, and height measurements. The efficiency is calculated using the ratio of final energy to initial energy. The speaker suggests considering energy in vs energy out for a better understanding of efficiency. The averaged data shows that a hanging weight on the lever arm results in higher efficiency compared to a weight on top. The reason for this could be due to the weight being suspended underneath the lever acting as a single particle, while a weight on top is divided and requires additional calculations.
orange7crush
In my physics problem I want to see how the energy transferred to a projectile differs if I (Setup A) set the weight on the lever arm and (Setup B) have a hanging weight on the lever arm.

Here are some images that better describe my project:
dbrrcj.png

34t1q2q.png

My experiment consisted of a base made of a 4x4 piece of wood and took identical pieces of wood straight up along the sides and another piece of wood for the lever arm. I used a metal cylinder as the pivot for the lever. I used three bricks as my 3 main masses and a golf ball for my projectile. I used a screw to stop the lever when it reached 90 degrees so the projectile would only have a horizontal component to its velocity. Here is a real life picture:
n1ec79.jpg

So my actual data I gathered from the experiment was the time of flight of the projectile and the distance it traveled when I let go of the mass and let the lever rotate. I have the height at which the lever arm released the golf ball, the height the ball started at and the height the counterweight(brick) started at.

Since my experiment was going for the energy efficiency difference: I used Energy Final / Energy Initial. Energy final = (KE of the ball + PE of the Ball at release) Energy initial = (PE of counterweight + PE of ball at initial height)

Is this good enough to see the difference in energy efficiencies of a weight on top of a lever arm and a weight hanging from a lever arm if the weight has the same height as to have the PE?

Is there more calculations needed? (moment of inertia, rotational momentum, etc...)

Physics news on Phys.org
if you are thinking about the efficiency of the machine, you don't really want to think in terms of initial vs final energy, but rather energy in and energy out. what do you have to put into the thing, this is basically the cost of lifting the bricks, vs the desired output, which is the KE of the projectile. so i would define [itex]e=PE_{bricks}/KE_{golfball}[/itex].

the nice thing is you really don't care how the energy is lost, so you don't need to keep track of that.

cheers

I think you mean e = KE(ball) / PE(bricks) since this will result in a percentage and not be greater than zero. But thanks, I can use the second law of thermodynamics and show which setup is best.

9779ld.jpg

This is the averaged data. Empirically it shows that less mass is more efficient and a hanging mass gives a lot more efficiency. What is the reason for this? Is it because when the weight is suspended underneath the lever it acts like a single particle and its weight is maximized where as the weight is divided up if on top and would be calculated with an integral?

Last edited:

1. How do you measure energy efficiency for lever arm setups?

To measure energy efficiency for lever arm setups, we calculate the mechanical advantage of the lever arm, which is the ratio of the output force to the input force. This tells us how much the lever arm amplifies the input force, and therefore how efficient it is in transferring energy.

2. What factors affect the energy efficiency of a lever arm setup?

The energy efficiency of a lever arm setup can be affected by a number of factors, including the length of the lever arm, the angle at which it is positioned, and the type and condition of the materials used to construct it. Friction also plays a role in reducing the overall efficiency of the system.

3. How does the energy efficiency of a lever arm setup compare to other energy transfer methods?

The energy efficiency of a lever arm setup can vary depending on the specific setup and conditions, but in general, it is considered to be a relatively efficient method of energy transfer. However, it may not be as efficient as other methods such as pulleys, gears, or hydraulic systems.

4. Can the energy efficiency of a lever arm setup be improved?

Yes, there are several ways in which the energy efficiency of a lever arm setup can be improved. This includes using materials with lower friction coefficients, optimizing the angle and length of the lever arm, and regularly maintaining and lubricating the setup to reduce friction.

5. Are there any real-world applications of lever arm setups for energy transfer?

Yes, lever arm setups are commonly used in real-world applications such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. For example, in construction, lever arms are used to lift and move heavy objects, and in transportation, they are used in car engines to convert rotational motion into linear motion.