What is the Formula for Calculating Force in a Hydraulic System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary force to support a 500 lb weight over piston 2, given the diameters of piston 1 and piston 2 (0.34 in and 1.0 in respectively) and the absence of friction. The formula F1 = F2/A2 A1 is used to calculate the force, with a resulting answer of 57.8 pounds. There is also a mention of converting units from inches to meters for the force calculation.
starfish794
Piston 1 has a diameter of 0.34 in. Piston 2 has a diameter of 1.0 in. In the absence of friction, determine the force, necessary to support the 500 lb weight over piston 2.

I used F(1) = pi(r1^2)/pi(r2^2)*F(2)

and got the wrong answer. I used radii of .17in and .5in. Is that the right formula? Do I need to convert the units to something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if your force is in Newtons, then you would need to convert the inches to meters.

I get the same answer?

We know that F1=P A1 and F2=P A2, solve 2 for P, P = F2/A2 and substitute.

F1 = F2/A2 A1

I get 57.8 Pounds which makes sense.

1. What is the unit of measurement for piston force?

The unit of measurement for piston force is Newtons (N). This is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg·m/s^2).

2. How is piston force calculated?

Piston force is calculated by multiplying the pressure exerted by the piston (in Pascals) by the surface area of the piston (in square meters). The formula for piston force is F = P x A, where F is force in Newtons, P is pressure in Pascals, and A is surface area in square meters.

3. What is the relationship between piston force and piston size?

The relationship between piston force and piston size is inverse. This means that as the size (surface area) of the piston increases, the force it can exert decreases, assuming the pressure remains constant. Similarly, if the size of the piston decreases, the force it can exert increases.

4. Can piston force be increased?

Yes, piston force can be increased by either increasing the pressure or increasing the size of the piston. However, there are limits to how much force a piston can exert, as it is limited by the strength of the materials it is made of and the surrounding environment.

5. Is piston force the same as engine power?

No, piston force and engine power are not the same. Piston force is a measure of the force exerted by the piston, while engine power is a measure of the rate at which work is done. Engine power takes into account both the force and the speed at which the piston moves, while piston force only considers the force exerted by the piston.