1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Placing charges with coulomb's law problem

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    Problem: a charge +Q is located at the origin and a second charge, +4Q is at a distance d on the x-axis. where should a third charge, q, be placed, and what should be its sign and magnitude, so that all three charges will be in equilibrium.

attempt:

I don't know how to solve it fully, but my initial thought is to put the third charge in between the other two and give it a negative sign. The two other charges repel each other so i thought a negative one in the middle would put them in equilibrium. is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right about the sign of the third charge.

Considering, for a moment, only the positive charges:
    1. Is there any location along the x-axis where the electric field is zero?

2. What is the magnitude of the force that the two positive charges exert on each other?​
    Answering those should give you a good start.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    am i correct by saying that there is no point on the x axis where the electric field is zero

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

For any location between x = 0 and x = d, The direction of the electric field due to the +Q charge is in the opposite direction of the electric field due to the +4Q charge . Therefore, there is some location between x = 0 and x = d at which the electric field due to those two charges is zero. At that location, what is true of the magnitude of the field due to +Q compared to the magnitude of the field due to +4Q ?

In my experience, by the time you encounter a problem like the one in this thread, you would have already done some problems with two charges located on the x-axis and you are to find the location at which the electric field is zero.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    i think i got it. it should be placed right d/3 from origin. sign negative. and charge of 7.11 x 10^(-20).

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the correct location.

You haven't given a specific value for the charge Q. How can you give a specific numerical value for the 3rd charge, q ?

Use the second hint I gave you.

8. Jan 26, 2012 #7
    i assumed Q to be 1.6 x 10^(-19)

9. Jan 26, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any reason for that assumption?

If you assume that, then the third charge, q, will be a fraction af one electron charge.

10. Jan 26, 2012 #9
    the force that the two charges exert on each other is (k)((4Q^2)/d^2). but i don't know how that helps

11. Jan 26, 2012 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is a force of repulsion.

The middle charge, q, must exert a force equal to that. As you have concluded previously, charge, q, must have a sign opposite to that of Q & 4Q, so that it attracts both of them.

What is the (magnitude of the) force exerted on each other by the charge, Q, at the origin and the charge, q, at x = d/3 ?

Set that force equal to [itex]\displaystyle \frac{4k\,Q^2}{d^2}\,.[/itex]

12. Jan 27, 2012 #11
    OK. i think its -3Q.

13. Jan 27, 2012 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Magnitude of the force between Q & 4Q:
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{4k\,Q^2}{d^2}\,.[/itex]​

Magnitude of the force between Q & q: assuming q is at x=d/3 and q = -3Q:
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{4k\,(3Q)\cdot Q}{(d/3)^2}=27\frac{4k\,(Q^2)}{d^2}\,.[/itex]​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook