Please an answer - 2 crates, a rope and friction

In summary, the problem is to determine the tension in the string between weights A and B, given their masses and the kinetic friction between the table and weight B. The acceleration is correctly calculated to be 2.75 m/s^2. To find the tension, a force balance on weight A is needed, resulting in a tension of 152.25 N in the string. The website is meant to help with learning and understanding, not to provide direct answers.
MGCLO
please an answer -- 2 crates, a rope and friction

here is the problem image

http://tinypic.com/r/qxrqdu/5

Weight A is connected via a string to Weight B. Weight B is connected to a string to Weight C. Mass of A is 21 KG. Mass of B is 5 KG. Mass of C is 10 KG. the kinetic friction between the table and the 5 KG weight is 0.22

i got 2.75 M/S^2 for acceleration is that correct?

i need to know what's the tension in the string between A and B. include steps please

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show and explain your work? There are lots of talented people here, but they are not allowed to do your homework for you.

Likes 1 person
turbo said:
Can you show and explain your work? There are lots of talented people here, but they are not allowed to do your homework for you.

well what's the point of this website?

I figured out the acceleration part but I can't figure out the Tension!

MGCLO said:
I figured out the acceleration part but I can't figure out the Tension!
To get the tension in the string between A and B, draw a free body diagram on A, and write down the Newton's 2nd Law force balance on A.

As per the rules you agreed to when you created your account, you need to show your working so far before we will help.

We will help you to do your homework. We will not do it for you.

well since we don't have an angle. then 210-ft= 2.75(5)
so 210-ft= 13.75

-ft = 13.75-210
ft= 196.25 ?
is that correct!

MGCLO said:
well since we don't have an angle. then 210-ft= 2.75(5)
so 210-ft= 13.75

-ft = 13.75-210
ft= 196.25 ?
is that correct!
No. If you are doing a force balance on weight A, shouldn't the 5kg on the right hand side of your equation be 21kg?

Likes 1 person
turbo said:

Chestermiller said:
No. If you are doing a force balance on weight A, shouldn't the 5kg on the right hand side of your equation be 21kg?

correct my bad got confused. using different weights in one problem does not make sense either.

so 210-ft= 2.75(210)

I got ft= 367.5 ?

MGCLO said:
here is the problem image

http://tinypic.com/r/qxrqdu/5

Weight A is connected via a string to Weight B. Weight B is connected to a string to Weight C. Mass of A is 21 KG. Mass of B is 5 KG. Mass of C is 10 KG. the kinetic friction between the table and the 5 KG weight is 0.22

i got 2.75 M/S^2 for acceleration is that correct?

i need to know what's the tension in the string between A and B. include steps please

You need to show your work on the problem before you may receive tutorial help here on the PF. Please check your PMs.

MGCLO said:
well what's the point of this website?

The point of this website is to help you learn how to learn. If we just spoon-feed you the answers, that will no help you to improve in your understanding of the subject, and will not help you to be able to figure out problems on your own (which is how real life works).

ok I showed my work for that part. can anyone tell me if 367.5 is correct?

MGCLO said:
correct my bad got confused. using different weights in one problem does not make sense either.

so 210-ft= 2.75(210)

I got ft= 367.5 ?
No. It's not 2.75(210), it's 2.75(21). Also, you did the algebra wrong. You have the right idea, but you got to be more careful with the math.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. It's not 2.75(210), it's 2.75(21). Also, you did the algebra wrong. You have the right idea, but you got to be more careful with the math.

Chet

210-ft=57.75

ft=152.25 ?

can anybody check my answer?

Yes, provided your solution for the acceleration is correct.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, provided your solution for the acceleration is correct.

how about the tension on the cord between A and B
ft=152.25 ?

MGCLO said:
how about the tension on the cord between A and B
ft=152.25 ?

That is what you calculated.

Chestermiller said:

yes.

21KG(10M/S^2) -FT= ma
210-FT=21(2.75)
FT=152.25

Chestermiller said:

MGCLO said:
yes.

21KG(10M/S^2) -FT= ma
210-FT=21(2.75)
FT=152.25

so? is it correct or not!

MGCLO said:
so? is it correct or not!
Yes.

1. How can two crates be moved using a rope and friction?

In order to move two crates using a rope and friction, you will need to tie the rope around both crates and pull on the rope in the direction you want the crates to move. The friction between the crates and the ground will help to prevent them from sliding.

2. What is the role of friction in moving the crates?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of objects as they slide against each other. In the case of moving two crates with a rope, friction between the crates and the ground is used to prevent the crates from sliding and to help them move in the desired direction.

3. How can the amount of friction be increased when moving the crates?

The amount of friction can be increased by increasing the weight of the crates or by creating more surface contact between the crates and the ground. This can be done by stacking the crates on top of each other or by adding weight to the top of the crates.

4. What factors can affect the movement of the crates using a rope and friction?

The movement of the crates can be affected by several factors such as the weight of the crates, the roughness of the ground surface, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the strength of the person pulling the rope.

5. Can the crates be moved without using a rope?

Yes, it is possible to move the crates without using a rope by applying a force directly to the crates, such as pushing or pulling them. However, using a rope can make the task easier and more efficient, especially if the crates are heavy or if they need to be moved over a longer distance.