Please check my calculation of the resistance of this wire shape

In summary: I think the "25mm" is the radius of the wire itself, not the radius of the semicircle portion of the wire form. Yeah, that confused me pretty well also.
requied
Homework Statement
I know the formulas about resistance of a cylindrical shape copper wire, and applied those on the question but I don't know that whether I am on the right track.
Relevant Equations
R = ρ.L/A
I explained what I want to tell you in the picture I add. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ödev2222.png
    ödev2222.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 159
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is a little off, it should be ##R = \frac{\rho L}{A}##.

Is your question how to calculate the length of the semicircle?

etotheipi said:
Your formula is a little off, it should be ##R = \frac{\rho L}{A}##.

Is your question how to calculate the length of the semicircle?
Thank you for correcting I will edit this, I want to write this actually. So, I don't know the second one is a semicircle or not. If that is I did correct. I don't have a question actually, mine is a confirmation.

requied said:
I don't know the second one is a semicircle or not.
It's not drawn very well, but if they don't say otherwise, it looks close enough to a semicircle to consider it one, IMO.

Likes requied
berkeman said:
It's not drawn very well, but if they don't say otherwise, it looks close enough to a semicircle to consider it one, IMO.
thank you I had also thought so

It's not drawn well at all. A radius of 25 mm is mentioned in the text but a radius of 4500 mm is shown for the supposed cylindrical piece. This figure looks like one that might ask for the magnetic field at the center of the semicircle.

kuruman said:
It's not drawn well at all. A radius of 25 mm is mentioned in the text but a radius of 4500 mm is shown for the supposed cylindrical piece.
I think the "25mm" is the radius of the wire itself, not the radius of the semicircle portion of the wire form. Yeah, that confused me pretty well also.

Likes kuruman
berkeman said:
I think the "25mm" is the radius of the wire itself, not the radius of the semicircle portion of the wire form. Yeah, that confused me pretty well also.
Ah, yes!

berkeman said:
My native language is not English. See it from my angle 😅

1. How do you calculate the resistance of a wire shape?

To calculate the resistance of a wire shape, you need to know three things: the resistivity of the material, the length of the wire, and the cross-sectional area of the wire. The formula for resistance is R = (ρ * L) / A, where ρ is the resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who first discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

3. Can the resistance of a wire shape change?

Yes, the resistance of a wire shape can change depending on the material, length, and cross-sectional area. For example, a longer wire will have a higher resistance than a shorter wire, and a thicker wire will have a lower resistance than a thinner wire.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a wire shape?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a wire shape because it can change the resistivity of the material. In general, as the temperature increases, the resistivity of most materials also increases, resulting in a higher resistance.

5. What is the significance of calculating the resistance of a wire shape?

Calculating the resistance of a wire shape is important because it helps us understand how electricity flows through different materials. It also allows us to design and build circuits that have the desired amount of resistance for proper functioning.