Mastering Integrals: Solving \int {\frac {1} {(\sqrt {-x})}} dx Confusion

• Thread starter LinkMage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of solving the integral \int {\frac {1} {(\sqrt {-x})}} dx, with one person getting 2 \sqrt {-x} and the other getting -2 \sqrt {-x}. The person who got -2 \sqrt {-x} explained their solution using u-substitution and clarified that \int (-x) ^ \alpha dx = \frac{(-x) ^ {\alpha + 1}}{\alpha + 1} + C is not a valid formula.
LinkMage
How do I do this?
[tex] \int {\frac {1} {(\sqrt {-x})}} dx [/tex]
I got [tex] 2 \sqrt {-x} [/tex] but my teacher got [tex] -2 \sqrt {-x} [/tex] and I don't know how he got there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you show how you got your answer then we will point out your mistake.

[tex] \int {\frac {1} {\sqrt{-x}}} dx = \int {\frac {1} {(-x)^{1/2}} dx = \int {(-x)^{-1/2}} dx = \frac {(-x)^{-1/2+1}} {-1/2+1} = \frac {(-x)^{1/2}} {1/2} = 2 \sqrt {-x} [/tex]

Last edited:
Nope,
You are wrong when going from:
[tex]\int (-x) ^ {-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex] to [tex]\frac{(-x) ^ {-\frac{1}{2} + 1}}{-\frac{1}{2} + 1} + C[/tex].
The reason is that, you only have:
[tex]\int x ^ \alpha dx = \frac{x ^ {\alpha + 1}}{\alpha + 1} + C[/tex].
You do not have:
[tex]\int (-x) ^ \alpha dx = \frac{(-x) ^ {\alpha + 1}}{\alpha + 1} + C[/tex]
So, from [tex]\int (-x) ^ {-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex], you can use u-substitution:
Let u = -x, so du = -dx (or you can say dx = -du). So the integral becomes:
[tex]\int u ^ {-\frac{1}{2}}(-du) = - \int u ^ {-\frac{1}{2}}du = -2 u ^ {\frac{1}{2}} + C[/tex]. Since u = -x, so change u back to x, you'll have:
[tex]-2\sqrt{-x} + C[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of mastering integrals?

The purpose of mastering integrals is to be able to solve a wide range of mathematical problems involving integration, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. It is an important skill for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians to have in order to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.

2. What is the meaning of \int {\frac {1} {(\sqrt {-x})}} dx?

This is an indefinite integral, which represents the antiderivative of the function \frac {1} {(\sqrt {-x})}. In other words, it is the function that, when differentiated, will give you back the original function. This notation is commonly used in calculus to represent the process of integration.

3. Why is there confusion when solving this particular integral?

This integral may cause confusion because it involves a negative under the square root, which can be difficult to work with. It also requires the use of substitution and the chain rule, which can sometimes be challenging for beginners to understand and apply correctly.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integrals?

Some common techniques for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. It is important to have a good understanding of these techniques and when to apply them in order to successfully solve integrals.

5. How can I improve my skills in mastering integrals?

The best way to improve your skills in mastering integrals is through practice. Work through a variety of examples and problems, and make sure to understand the concepts behind each step. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or working with a tutor or classmate.