Guide to Wiring 6 LED Bulbs in One Switch for 220V AC - Expert Tips

In summary, it is not safe to wire up six 3 watt LED bulbs in one switch for home 220v AC. You should consult a safety-approved DC voltage source to power your LED project.
alvinneedhelp
wire 6(3 watts)led bulbs in one switch for home 220v AC is it possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
alvinneedhelp said:
wire 6(3 watts)led bulbs in one switch for home 220v AC is it possible?

Welcome to the PF.

It doesn't sound like you should be messing with an AC Mains project yet. What is the voltage rating of each of the LED bulbs? You should use a safety-approved DC voltage source to power your LED project. :smile:

the bulb is safety approved ac voltage source mate dedicated for homes.. its a pin light led lights

my problem is i don't know how to make a electrical schematic for the wiring of these 6 bulbs 3 watts each bulb in one switch.. running at 220v ac the bulbs are 220 compatible

alvinneedhelp said:
my problem is i don't know how to make a electrical schematic for the wiring of these 6 bulbs 3 watts each bulb in one switch.. running at 220v ac the bulbs are 220 compatible

So they screw into light fixtures that you wire to the AC Mains?

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/wiring-multiple-lights.gif
wiring-multiple-lights.gif

thanks berkeman

<< All caps post fixed by Mentor >>

Yes, berkeman, for the AC Mains. My question is can I put 6 bulbs 3 watts each all in one switch -- will they work? Is it safe?

our ac wattage is 220 watts here in the philippines

alvinneedhelp said:
our ac wattage is 220 watts here in the philippines
No, your AC Mains *voltage* is 220Vac. :smile:

alvinneedhelp said:
Yes, berkeman, for the AC Mains. My question is can I put 6 bulbs 3 watts each all in one switch -- will they work? Is it safe?
6 bulbs * 3 watts is only 18 watts. That is still a very light load. You may want to get an electrician to help you wire up the circuit. There are certain safety rules that you must follow.

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
There are certain safety rules that you must follow.

I take it you have never been to the Philippines ?

My wife is from there, and every time I visit, I cringe at the mains cabling strung around buildings ... commercial and homes
its truly a nightmare ... Rules ?! ... if there are rules, they are, unfortunately, rarely followed :frown:

The same applies to general building codes etc, I often think ... ohhh, I hope I'm not in here during an earthquakeDave

berkeman said:
No, your AC Mains *voltage* is 220Vac. :smile:6 bulbs * 3 watts is only 18 watts. That is still a very light load. You may want to get an electrician to help you wire up the circuit. There are certain safety rules that you must follow.

hi berkeman thanks for correcting me.. our ac main is 220v AC :) my question.. is it possible to turn it on all 6 led bulbs in one switch without a problem.. i don't know how to make a wiring schematic.. the electrician is asking me.. that's why I am researching for it and finding a forum that can help me do a simple schematic.. so i can make a plan for wiring.. so it will be safe for us to live in.. organized wiring and easy to repair if there is a problem.. thanks for the big help god bless bro

can you give me some rules that i can follow for our safety thanks.. big help davenn thanks for reminding :)

alvinneedhelp said:
can you give me some rules that i can follow for our safety thanks.. big help davenn thanks for reminding :)

I don't know if you are in the US, but even if you are in a different country, the NEC is a good reference for electrical safety. I'd recommend checking a copy out of your local library to read through, or just buy a copy online to use to learn:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1455905445/?tag=pfamazon01-20
nec%202014%20handbook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn
If he is really an electrician - tell him to wire it up the same as 3 incandescent bulbs - if the LED are rated for the 220V - there is no difference in wiring them up. Technically we call this parallel. If he is still confused - please get a new electrician.

Likes davenn, billy_joule and berkeman
ok berkeman ill try that and research for it..

hi windadct i think i need to get a new electrician too many question ask that's why i want to learn so i can help him.. get an idea.. what to do.. and see if he is doing it right..for our family safety.. god bless mate..

1. How do I wire 6 LED bulbs to one switch for 220V AC?

To wire 6 LED bulbs to one switch for 220V AC, you will need to first gather all necessary materials, including the LED bulbs, a switch, and electrical wire. Then, follow these steps:

1. Turn off the power supply to the circuit you will be working on.
  2. Connect the positive (+) terminal of the first LED bulb to the positive (+) terminal of the second LED bulb using electrical wire.
  3. Repeat this process for all 6 LED bulbs, connecting each positive (+) terminal to the next.
  4. Next, connect the negative (-) terminal of the first LED bulb to the negative (-) terminal of the second LED bulb using electrical wire.
  5. Again, repeat this process for all 6 LED bulbs, connecting each negative (-) terminal to the next.
  6. Finally, connect the positive (+) terminal of the last LED bulb to one terminal of the switch, and connect the negative (-) terminal of the last LED bulb to the other terminal of the switch.
  7. Turn the power supply back on and test the circuit to ensure all 6 LED bulbs are working.

2. Can I use any type of switch for wiring 6 LED bulbs for 220V AC?

Yes, you can use any type of switch for wiring 6 LED bulbs for 220V AC as long as it is rated for the appropriate voltage and amperage. It is recommended to use a switch with a higher amperage rating to ensure it can handle the electrical load of all 6 LED bulbs.

3. What is the difference between wiring LED bulbs for 220V AC and 110V AC?

The main difference between wiring LED bulbs for 220V AC and 110V AC is the voltage and amperage. 220V AC is a higher voltage and typically requires thicker electrical wire and switches with a higher amperage rating. It is important to follow the appropriate safety precautions and use the correct materials for the specific voltage you are working with.

4. Can I use a dimmer switch for wiring 6 LED bulbs for 220V AC?

Yes, you can use a dimmer switch for wiring 6 LED bulbs for 220V AC as long as it is rated for the appropriate voltage and amperage. It is recommended to use a dimmer switch specifically designed for LED bulbs to ensure proper dimming functionality.

5. Is it safe to wire 6 LED bulbs for 220V AC on my own?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer on the safety of DIY electrical work. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions and consult a licensed electrician if you are unsure about any steps. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is always best to seek professional help to ensure the safety of yourself and your home.