1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me to solve this integration problem

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1

lap

Integrate ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 )( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx
    with upper limit = 3 and lower limit = -3

I have tried to use integration by part and set u = ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 ) and
    dv = ( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

What have you tried so far?

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I very much doubt there is any closed-form formula for the antiderivative, so you probably need to contemplate numerical integration for the general case of ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx##. However, before doing that, sit down and think carefully about your specific problem.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4

lap

How to integrate ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 )( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx ?

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have already told you it cannot be done with formulas---even very long ones having billions of complicated terms and taking millions of pages to write out. However, that was not your original question: you wanted ##\int_{-3}^3 f(x) \, dx##. As I suggested, think hard about the problem first.

7. Mar 6, 2014 #6

lap

The answer is 0 ?

8. Mar 6, 2014 #7
    The answer is correct but can you prove it?

9. Mar 6, 2014 #8

lap

I know the answer is 0 because the positive area canceled the negative area but I don't know how to prove it

10. Mar 6, 2014 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x) is that big expression you are integrating, can you prove that f(-x)=(-f(x))? Then show ##\int_{-a}^0 f(x) dx = -\int_{0}^a f(x) dx##.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  11. Mar 6, 2014 #10

lap

I proved that f(-x)=(-f(x)) and solved it. Thank you very much !

12. Mar 6, 2014 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order to use symmetry here you must also show that this is not an improper integral. Your integrand is a fraction with sin(x^4+ 5x^2+ 100) in the denominator. Can you show that this never 0 for x between -3 and 3?

13. Mar 6, 2014 #12
    There is an x in the denominator instead of sine. Moreover, the function doesn't seem to defined within the given limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted