How to Approach the Integration of Complex Functions with Limits from -3 to 3?

In summary, the conversation is about attempting to integrate a complicated expression using integration by parts and setting up u and dv, but realizing it cannot be done with formulas. The specific problem is finding ##\int_{-3}^3 f(x) \, dx##, but the answer is 0 due to symmetry. However, in order to use symmetry, it must be shown that the integral is not improper and the function in the denominator is never 0 between the given limits.
lap
Integrate ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 )( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx
with upper limit = 3 and lower limit = -3

I have tried to use integration by part and set u = ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 ) and
dv = ( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

lap said:
Integrate ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 )( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx
with upper limit = 3 and lower limit = -3

I have tried to use integration by part and set u = ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 ) and
dv = ( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx

But I don't know how to integrate the dv

I very much doubt there is any closed-form formula for the antiderivative, so you probably need to contemplate numerical integration for the general case of ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx##. However, before doing that, sit down and think carefully about your specific problem.

How to integrate ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 )( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx ?

lap said:
How to integrate ( (sqrt (x^2 - 9))/x )( exp x^2 )( cos 7x )( sin(x^4 + 5x^2 + 100) ) dx ?

I have already told you it cannot be done with formulas---even very long ones having billions of complicated terms and taking millions of pages to write out. However, that was not your original question: you wanted ##\int_{-3}^3 f(x) \, dx##. As I suggested, think hard about the problem first.

The answer is 0 ?

The answer is correct but can you prove it?

I know the answer is 0 because the positive area canceled the negative area but I don't know how to prove it

lap said:
I know the answer is 0 because the positive area canceled the negative area but I don't know how to prove it

If f(x) is that big expression you are integrating, can you prove that f(-x)=(-f(x))? Then show ##\int_{-a}^0 f(x) dx = -\int_{0}^a f(x) dx##.

Last edited:
I proved that f(-x)=(-f(x)) and solved it. Thank you very much !

In order to use symmetry here you must also show that this is not an improper integral. Your integrand is a fraction with sin(x^4+ 5x^2+ 100) in the denominator. Can you show that this never 0 for x between -3 and 3?

HallsofIvy said:
In order to use symmetry here you must also show that this is not an improper integral. Your integrand is a fraction with sin(x^4+ 5x^2+ 100) in the denominator. Can you show that this never 0 for x between -3 and 3?

There is an x in the denominator instead of sine. Moreover, the function doesn't seem to defined within the given limits.

What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the value of a definite integral. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why do I need to learn how to solve integration problems?

Integration is an important tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena. It allows you to model and make predictions about real-world situations, and is also essential for further study in advanced math and science courses.

What are the steps to solve an integration problem?

The steps to solve an integration problem may vary depending on the type of problem, but generally involve identifying the function to be integrated, determining the limits of integration, and using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral.

What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include the power rule, u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to be familiar with these techniques and know when to use them in order to solve integration problems effectively.

What are some tips for solving integration problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving integration problems more efficiently include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental concepts and techniques, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and checking your work for accuracy. It is also helpful to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources when needed.