Solve an Infinite Charge Line Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charge line with infinite length and a conductive cylinder attached to Earth. The question is about the capacitance of this system as a capacitor and whether drawings are necessary for the answer. It is concluded that if the line and cylinder are infinitely long, the capacitance will also be infinite. However, if the capacitor is finite in length, the capacitance can be calculated using the charge density and voltage difference. Additional resources and examples are suggested for further understanding.
a_aziy
Please help me ...

Hi friends I have some problems and also I have an exam the day after tomorrow ...
Please help me... :confused:
1) There is a charge line with a length of infinite , and charge density of (K) and distance of (d) from center of a conductive cylinder which is attached to the Earth , What is the capacity of this system as a capacitor ?

Unfortunatly I can't draw the picture of problem here ... I don't know what should I do...?
I can scan it and Email you if you want...!?
If your answer needs some drawings you can Email the answer to me : Aziy2003@ yahoo.com
Thanks ... :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If the line and cylinder are infinitely long, the capacitance will be infinite.

If the cylindrical capacitor is finite in length, the capacitance C = Q/V. The Q will just be the charge density per meter multiplied by the length in meters. The voltage difference V is related to the radii of the inner and outer conductor of this coaxial capacitor. Look for an example calculation for the "Capacitance of Coaxial Transmission Line" to see how you work out the voltage difference V. In my old Applied Electromagnetics text by Plonus, it's in section 5.5.

Hope that helps.

Are you looking for the capacitance per unit length, CL=(Q/V)/L? This can be found by looking at the capacitance of a section of the capacitor of unit length (L=1). Q is the charge on the wire for this piece, and V is found by integrating E.dl from the wire a point on the cylinder.

What is an infinite charge line problem?

An infinite charge line problem is a type of problem that involves finding the electric field at a point in space due to an infinitely long line of charge. This type of problem is commonly seen in electrostatics and can be solved using various mathematical techniques.

How do you solve an infinite charge line problem?

To solve an infinite charge line problem, you can use the concept of symmetry and Gauss's law. By considering the problem to have infinite symmetry, you can simplify the problem and use Gauss's law to find the electric field at a point. Other mathematical techniques such as integration can also be used to solve these types of problems.

What are the assumptions made in solving an infinite charge line problem?

When solving an infinite charge line problem, some of the key assumptions made include the line of charge being infinitely long, the charge being uniformly distributed, and the electric field being constant along the line of charge. These assumptions help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

What are some real-life applications of infinite charge line problems?

Infinite charge line problems have various real-life applications, such as in the design of capacitors, transmission lines, and charged particle accelerators. They can also be used to model the electric fields in certain biological systems, such as nerve cells and DNA molecules.

Can an infinite charge line problem have a net charge of zero?

Yes, an infinite charge line problem can have a net charge of zero. This can happen when the line of charge has equal amounts of positive and negative charges, canceling out the net charge. In such cases, the electric field at a point due to the line of charge would be zero.