Please help with an exercise in mathematical methods for physicists

In summary, the equation of motion for a particle with mass m and charge q moving in three-dimensional space under a Coulombic attraction towards a fixed center is given by a system of three equations, one for each of the generalized coordinates r, θ, and φ. The Lagrangian for this system can be written in terms of the kinetic and potential energies, and the equations of motion can be derived from it using the Lagrange equations. Due to the conservation of angular momentum, the particle will move in a plane defined by the center of attraction and its initial displacement and velocity vectors. This can be represented using polar or cylindrical coordinates.
benjamin198

Homework Statement

Derive the equation of motion of a particle of mass m and charge q moving in three dimensional space under a Coulombic attraction toward a fixed center.

I have the answer for a plane but a i need it for the space
1%2B.jpg

Homework Equations

2.jpg

Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers (Donald A. mcquarrie), chapter 20,.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the exercise in polar coordinates
IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
The OP shows thumbnails of images, but you can't open the images themselves. We can't see the problem statement or your work.

in this link looks better
http://htmlimg4.scribdassets.com/6vgsfinm2o2p92ha/images/4-e24c6fe708.jpg
http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/6vgsfinm2o2p92ha/images/5-d4de0e56dc.jpg

You should use spherical coordinates. You don't have any constraints, so, just write the Langrangian, and apply Lagrange equations.

##L=T-V\\ x=r\sin \phi \cos\theta \\ y=r\sin \phi \sin \theta \\ z=r\cos \phi##
## T=\frac{1}{2}m \left[ \dot {x}^2 + \dot {y}^2+\dot {z}^2 \right]=\frac{1}{2}m \left[ \dot r^2 +r^2\sin^2 \phi\dot \theta^2+r^2\dot \phi^2 \right]##, ##V=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{q}{r} ##

You'll have three equations, one for each of the generalized coordinates ##r,\theta,\phi##.

For example, r:

##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot r}\right)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial r}=0 \\ \therefore m\ddot r-mr(\dot \phi^2+\sin^2\phi\dot\theta^2)+\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{q}{r^2}=0##

(I didn't check if what I did is right, you should do it).

Last edited:
A charged particle moving a coulombic potential in space does move in a plane. The plane is defined by the center of attraction and the vectors corresponding to the initial displacement of the charge and the initial velocity of the charge. You don't have to resolve the dynamical problem. You just have to figure out how to transform the planar solution into 3d coordinates.

Yes, that's because of the conservation of angular momentum, that you can derive from the equations of motion from the Lagrangian I gave (if it was set right, of course). As the force is central, there are no external torques, so the angular momentum is conserved. If you set an initial speed and an initial position, you can get from the vector product the direction on which the angular momentum goes, and define the plane of movement from it. So, it can actually be properly done on cylindrical coordinates instead of polar coordinates, but you can also derive all this from the equations of motions in spherical coordinates.

Q1: What is the purpose of mathematical methods for physicists?

The purpose of mathematical methods for physicists is to equip scientists with the necessary tools to describe and analyze physical phenomena using mathematical language and techniques. It allows for precise and quantitative understanding of the natural world.

Q2: What are some common mathematical methods used in physics?

Some common mathematical methods used in physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and statistics. These tools are used to model and solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and other areas of physics.

Q3: How can mathematical methods be applied to real-world problems in physics?

Mathematical methods can be applied to real-world problems in physics by formulating mathematical models that describe the system or phenomenon being studied. These models can then be used to make predictions, test hypotheses, and analyze data in order to gain a better understanding of the physical world.

Q4: Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for understanding physics?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is necessary for understanding physics. Many physical concepts and theories are expressed mathematically, and without a solid understanding of mathematical methods, it can be difficult to fully comprehend and apply these principles.

Q5: How can I improve my understanding of mathematical methods for physicists?

To improve your understanding of mathematical methods for physicists, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or teacher can also aid in improving your understanding of these methods.