Integrating \int^a_0 \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2 }}: A Helpful Guide

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: But thank you very much for the help.In summary, the conversation discusses an integration problem and the difference between the answer provided by the individual and the answer in the book. The book's answer does not include a constant term, which the individual believes is a mistake. However, it is shown that the constant term does not affect the definite integral and the two answers differ only by a constant. The individual thanks the expert for their help in understanding the concept.
yungman
I don't get this answer, this is my work:

Find [tex]\int^a_0 \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2 }} [/tex]

Let [tex] tan \;\theta = \frac z s \;\Rightarrow dz = s \;sec^2\;\theta \;d \theta, \; sec \;\theta = \frac {\sqrt{s^2 + z^2}} s [/tex]

[tex]\int^a_0 \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2 }} = \int^a_0 sec \;\theta \;d\theta = ln| sec \;\theta + tan \;\theta| = ln \left | \frac {\sqrt{s^2+z^2} + z}{s} \right |^a_0 [/tex]

But from the book:

[tex]\int^a_0 \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2 }} = ln | \sqrt{s^2+z^2} + z |^a_0 [/tex]

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] ln \left | \frac {\sqrt{s^2+z^2} + z}{s} \right | = ln |\sqrt{s^2 + z^2} + z| - ln|s|[/tex]

The ln|s| term is a constant, so your answer and the book's answer differ by only a constant.

Mark44 said:
[tex] ln \left | \frac {\sqrt{s^2+z^2} + z}{s} \right | = ln |\sqrt{s^2 + z^2} + z| - ln|s|[/tex]

The ln|s| term is a constant, so your answer and the book's answer differ by only a constant.

Thanks for the quick reply, this is a part of a bigger problem, the book never account for ln|s|. Later it substitude a into the definite integral and gave the answer and ln|s| is never part of it. I think the book made a mistake because this is really a simple straight forward problem.

If you evaluate the antiderivative (in the form shown on the right side in post #3) at z = b and z = a, and subtract them, the ln|s| terms will drop out.

At z = b: ln|sqrt(s2 + b2) + b| - ln|s|
At z = a: ln|sqrt(s2 + a2) + a| - ln|s|

If you subtract the 2nd line above from the first, you have -ln|s| + ln|s|.

Mark44 said:
If you evaluate the antiderivative (in the form shown on the right side in post #3) at z = b and z = a, and subtract them, the ln|s| terms will drop out.

At z = b: ln|sqrt(s2 + b2) + b| - ln|s|
At z = a: ln|sqrt(s2 + a2) + a| - ln|s|

If you subtract the 2nd line above from the first, you have -ln|s| + ln|s|.

But in the problem, we only substitude with a only. I simplify the problem, actually a=ct in the real problem where c is the speed of light and t is time. The answer is not a variable anymore so the term ln|s| need to be accounted for. that is the thing I don't understand.

Try evaluating it at a and 0. You will get:

[tex]\left(ln\left|\sqrt{s^2+a^2}+a\right| - ln|s|\right) - \left(ln\left|\sqrt{s^2+0^2}+0\right| - ln|s|\right) = \left(ln\left|\sqrt{s^2+a^2}+a\right| - ln\left|\sqrt{s^2+0^2}+0\right|\right) + \left(ln|s| - ln|s|\right)[/tex]

So as you can see, the ln(s) term, being constant, doesn't matter to the definite integral.

Last edited:
It's possible for two people to work the same integration problem and get two different answers. This is fine, as long as the two answers differ by only a constant. Your answer and the book's answer differ by a constant.

Here's an example. Two antiderivatives of 2x are x2 and x2 + 7. For each of these, the derivative is 2x.

If I have a definite integral, from, say, 1, to 3, both antiderivatives give the same answer.

[tex]\int_1^3 2x dx = \left . x^2\right |_1^3 = 9 - 1 = 8[/tex]
[tex]\int_1^3 2x dx = \left . x^2 + 7\right |_1^3 = (9 + 7) - (1 + 7) = 16 - 8 = 8[/tex]

Thanks, I got it. It is just strange that the book not even write it out first and then cancel out later.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It involves calculating the accumulation of small pieces of a curve and adding them together.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, science, and engineering. It helps us calculate quantities such as area, volume, and displacement.

3. How do I solve integration problems?

To solve integration problems, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry.

4. What are the applications of integration?

Integration has various applications in different fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, determine the growth rate of population, and analyze the flow of fluids in pipes.

5. What are some common mistakes when integrating?

Some common mistakes when integrating include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making algebraic errors, and not recognizing when to use a specific integration technique. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.