Please recommend pop sci books

In summary: The first 2/3rds of it are about the discovery of nickel on Earth, and how it led to the development of the modern technological world. Highly recommend.In summary, the author recommends reading biographies such as "The strangest man" or "Road to Reality" to get a better understanding of the physics discussed in popular books, and to transition into texts.
cjackson
Here is what I have read:

carroll, sean from eternity to here
carroll, sean the particle at the end of the universe
deutsch, david the fabric of reality
gott, j. richard time travel in einstein's universe
greene, brian the elegant universe
greene, brian the fabric of the cosmos
greene, brian the hidden reality
guth, alan the inflationary universe
hawking, stephen a brief history of time
hawking, stephen the universe in a nutshell
kirshner, robert the extravagant universe
krauss, lawrence a universe from nothing
krauss, lawrence the physics of star trek
randall, lisa warped passages
rees, martin just six numbers
susskind, leonard the black hole war
susskind, leonard the cosmic landscape
thorne, kip black holes and time warps
tyson, neil degrasse death by black hole
weinberg, steven dreams of a final theory
weinberg, steven the first three minutes
wilczek, frank longing for the harmonies
wilczek, frank the lightness of being

I am currently reading Before the Beginning by Martin Rees. Please make further reading recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are a lot of books...

"Sneaking a Look at God's Cards" by GianCarlo Ghirardi
"Quantum Mechanics and Experience" by David Albert
"The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
"Dance of the Photons" by Anton Zeilinger
"Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Lisa Randall

I forgot to add these to the have read list:

The Mystery of the Missing Antimatter
Heart of Darkness: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Invisible Universe
Cosmos
Pale Blue Dot
How to Find a Habitable Planet
Cosmic Cocktail
The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics
Death From the Skies
Einstein's Universe
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman
Space Chronicles

In spite of all this reading, I still feel as though I haven't learned anything.

I finished Rees' Before the Beginning and am now reading The Shadows of Creation. At what point should I get out of the popular books and into textbooks?

An "oldie but goodie" is George Gamow's "Thirty Years That Shook Physics", about the early days of quantum physics. He studied at the Bohr institute in Copenhagen, knew the "big names" of the period, and has some great stories about them. For example, the time Bohr was showing off his mountain-climbing skills by scaling the side of a bank in Copenhagen, and a policeman came along...

Are you asking us to recommend these books to people in general? Who should we recommend sci.fi books to?

If you read all those books, whatever we recommend now will probably have stuff you already read in one of those. My advice is to read biographies, such as "The strangest man"..

cjackson said:
At what point should I get out of the popular books and into textbooks?

When you get the feeling they're not being completey honest with you.

Try Penrose, 'Road to Reality' as a transition into texts,... or Sean Carroll excellent GR notee,...

http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/

Schutz 'A first course in GR' is a good intro to GR,... or Feynman's three volume lectures.

It's If you've already read those, check out Mining the Sky by John S. Lewis .It's very engaging with a viable look at gathering mineral resources in our solar system. It touches on the economics and industrial/technological capabilities required to say, mine an asteroid or the moon.

Definitely one of my favorites!

1. What are some popular science books that you would recommend?

Some popular science books that I would recommend include "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

2. Are there any specific topics or fields of science that these books cover?

Yes, these books cover a wide range of topics and fields of science, including anthropology, biology, astrophysics, cosmology, genetics, and more. Each book focuses on a specific aspect or concept within these fields.

3. Can you recommend any pop sci books that are suitable for beginners?

Yes, some pop sci books that are suitable for beginners include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution" by Jennifer A. Doudna and Samuel H. Sternberg, and "The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements" by Sam Kean.

4. Are there any pop sci books that are more suitable for advanced readers?

Yes, some pop sci books that are more suitable for advanced readers include "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene, and "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.

5. Can you recommend any pop sci books that have been recently published?

Yes, some recently published pop sci books include "The Body: A Guide for Occupants" by Bill Bryson, "Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World" by David Epstein, "The Future of Another Timeline" by Annalee Newitz, and "The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate - Discoveries from a Secret World" by Peter Wohlleben.