Plot the graph and if the signal is periodic, what is the fundamental?

In summary, the conversation was about declaring time and unit steps, solving problems and determining if a function is periodic or not. The participants also discussed the values and characteristics of two specific functions, A and B, and their periods. The approximate period for function B was determined to be around 0.7 based on the graph generated by MatLab.
bernardoprepmare
Homework Statement
I am solving a work of signs and systems and asked me to find in the equations below the graph and the fundamental period

And in question 2 asks to plot the graph of the signs and also the convolution.
Relevant Equations
a)
x(t) = u(t-3)+u(1-t)

b) x(t) = 10cos(100t)-2sen(100t)

c) x[n] = 1- e^j4pin/7 + e^ j2pin/5

d) x[n] = (1/2)^n u[n-3]

2)
a) x[n] = (1/3)^n u[-n-1]
h[n] = u[n-1]

b) x(t) = e^2t u(-t)
h(t) = u(t-3)
I do not know how to declare time t and unit steps.

The image of problems to get a better understanding as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can solve 1a and 1b, but I could not figure out if a function is periodic or not.
Both were like this ...

a)
t = (-10:0.01:10);
x1 = t>=3;
x2 = t<1;
xtot=x1+x2;
plot(t,xtot)
axis ([-10,10,0,1.2])

b)
t = (-0.5:0.001:0.5)';
x1 = 10*cos(100*t);
x2 = 2*sin(100*t);
xtot=x1-x2;
plot(t,xtot)
axis ([-0.5,0.5,-11,11])

Is the cosine function periodic? What is its period?

RPinPA said:
Is the cosine function periodic? What is its period?

Yes, I completed question number 1.
The letter A is not periodic and B is!
Your approximate period by the graph that MatLab gave me is something around 0.7.

1. What does it mean for a signal to be periodic?

A periodic signal is one that repeats itself in a predictable pattern over time. This means that the signal has a specific period, or interval of time, after which it will repeat the same pattern.

2. How can I determine if a signal is periodic?

To determine if a signal is periodic, you can plot it on a graph and look for a repeating pattern. If there is a consistent interval between the peaks or troughs of the signal, then it is likely periodic. Another way to determine periodicity is by calculating the autocorrelation function of the signal, which will show any repeating patterns or cycles.

3. What is the fundamental of a periodic signal?

The fundamental of a periodic signal is the lowest frequency component that makes up the signal. It is the frequency at which the signal repeats itself and is often referred to as the "base frequency" or "first harmonic".

4. How do I plot the graph of a periodic signal?

To plot the graph of a periodic signal, you can use a software program or an online tool that allows you to input the signal data and generate a graph. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or plot the data manually on a graph paper.

5. Can a non-sinusoidal signal be periodic?

Yes, a non-sinusoidal signal can be periodic as long as it has a repeating pattern over time. This means that the signal can have any shape or form, as long as it repeats itself in a predictable manner. Examples of non-sinusoidal periodic signals include square waves, triangular waves, and sawtooth waves.