Plotting the Probability Density of the Coulomb Wave Function

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with 3D density plots of the probability density of the Coulomb wave function. The plots of |ψ(n=2, l=1, m=-1)|² and |ψ(2, 1, 1)|² are identical, while they should have the same shape but be rotationally symmetric along different orthogonal axes. The reason for this is that the complex modulus of the spherical harmonics differ by a relative phase, making their probability densities the same. However, suitable linear combinations of these functions can result in the expected orbitals. These orbitals are not eigenfunctions of ##\hat{
tomdodd4598
Hey there - I think I have an issue with my 3D density plots of the probability density of the Coulomb wave function. The reason I think something is going wrong is because my plots of |ψ(n=2, l=1, m=-1)|² and |ψ(2, 1, 1)|² are identical, while I would expect them to have the same shape but be rotationally symmetric along different orthogonal axes.

cph1joM.png
oF3Tp6b.png
DXDLHxW.png

The above images are Mathematica's plots of |ψ(2, 1, -1)|², |ψ(2, 1, 0)|², |ψ(2, 1, 1)|², respectively. As you can see, the first and third are identical, and not the shape of 2p orbitals, while the second plot actually looks like what I would expect - one of the three 2p orbitals.

Here is my wave function - it's possible that the conversion from spherical to Cartesian coordinates is a problem, but I'm not sure:

AfffBBP.png

If the above needs clarifying, do ask. Thanks for any help in advance ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take suitable linear combinations of ##\psi(2,1,-1)## and ##\psi(2,1,+1)##, and then find the probability densities, you do get the ##p_x## and ##p_y## orbitals.

jtbell said:
If you take suitable linear combinations of ##\psi(2,1,-1)## and ##\psi(2,1,+1)##, and then find the probability densities, you do get the ##p_x## and ##p_y## orbitals.

Ah, I've managed to make linear combinations which give the x and y-direction p orbitals, but I am still confused - does that mean some orbital wave functions aren't energy energy eigenfunctions? How/why would that be true?

tomdodd4598 said:
Ah, I've managed to make linear combinations which give the x and y-direction p orbitals, but I am still confused - does that mean some orbital wave functions aren't energy energy eigenfunctions? How/why would that be true?
They are still energy eigenfunctions. However, ##p_x## and ##p_y## are not eigenfunctions of ##\hat{L}_z##.

DrClaude said:
They are still energy eigenfunctions. However, ##p_x## and ##p_y## are not eigenfunctions of ##\hat{L}_z##.

Right, I understand that, but I've now got more questions - what are those donut-shaped probability densities? Why aren't they valid orbitals? Also, is there a systematic way for me to combine these 'base' wave functions to create the correct electron orbitals? I managed to make an intuitive guess with the other two p orbitals, but is there a general set of linear combinations which give all of the orbitals?

Last edited:
tomdodd4598 said:
Right, I understand that, but I've now got more questions - what are those donut-shaped probability densities? Why aren't they valid orbitals?
They are completely valid orbitals. But they are complex functions, which can make them more difficult to work with in certain situations. The ##p_x## and ##p_y## orbitals are completely real functions, and their orientation along the Cartesian coordinates makes them useful to understand things like chemical bonding.

tomdodd4598 said:
Also, is there a systematic way for me to combine these 'base' wave functions to create the correct electron orbitals? I managed to make an intuitive guess with the other two p orbitals, but is there a general set of linear combinations which give all of the orbitals?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital#Real_orbitals

1. What is the Coulomb wave function?

The Coulomb wave function is a mathematical function that describes the probability density of an electron in an atom or molecule. It is used to calculate the probability of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus.

2. Why is it important to plot the probability density of the Coulomb wave function?

Plotting the probability density of the Coulomb wave function allows us to visualize the distribution of electrons in an atom or molecule. This is important for understanding the electronic structure and behavior of these particles.

3. How is the probability density of the Coulomb wave function calculated?

The probability density of the Coulomb wave function is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the interactions between the electron and the nucleus of an atom or molecule.

4. What factors affect the shape of the probability density plot for the Coulomb wave function?

The shape of the probability density plot for the Coulomb wave function is affected by the principal quantum number, the azimuthal quantum number, and the magnetic quantum number. These parameters determine the energy level, orbital shape, and orientation of the electron, respectively.

5. How does the probability density of the Coulomb wave function change as the distance from the nucleus increases?

As the distance from the nucleus increases, the probability density of the Coulomb wave function decreases. This is because the electron is less likely to be found at a greater distance from the nucleus due to the attractive force between the electron and nucleus decreasing with distance.