Exam Preparation: Tips for Success and a Helpful Practice Question

• Thread starter versaknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, In part 2, you need to account for the lengths of both ships, but only one is contracted. This is done by calculating the contracted length and then dividing it by the relative velocity between the ships. For part 3, think about how the situation would look from each point of view and see if there is a difference.
versaknight
well i have an exam on mon so i ahve been practicing I am not very sure how to do this qn . this seems easy but i want to make sure any help would be greatly appecitated .ITs a pcture[PLAIN]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216457_217324648278600_100000032007600_930824_4465603_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
versaknight said:
well i have an exam on mon so i ahve been practicing I am not very sure how to do this qn . this seems easy but i want to make sure any help would be greatly appecitated .ITs a pcture[PLAIN]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216457_217324648278600_100000032007600_930824_4465603_n.jpg[/QUOTE]
Do you have any thoughts on how to approach the problems, so you could give your ideas and people could comment rather than just giving the answers? Are you familiar with the equations for length contraction and time dilation?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes what i did was calculate the reltive velcocity of the orion rocket with respect to the crew of sirius and i used this velcity to find the contracted length iss that correct

versaknight said:
yes what i did was calculate the reltive velcocity of the orion rocket with respect to the crew of sirius and i used this velcity to find the contracted length iss that correct
Yes, that's the right approach for question (i).

for part 2 is it just contracted length divided by relative velocity and how do i approach part 3?

think about how the situation would look from each point of view. is there a difference?

well i don't think so beacuse for orion , sirius will be moving at the same relative speed away from him. since they have the same length, the contracted length will be the same and the time taken will be the same.. that's what i think

versaknight said:
well i don't think so beacuse for orion , sirius will be moving at the same relative speed away from him. since they have the same length, the contracted length will be the same and the time taken will be the same.. that's what i think

That's correct. Next time, it's probably easier to post your attempts along with the question, so that we can easily check to see whether you've already gotten the right answers.

right. if they were different, then we would have just done an experiment that distinguished one inertial frame from the other!

by the way, in part two, you need to account for the lengths of both ships, but only one is contracted. do you see why?

yes i get it . thanks

1. What is the best way to prepare for an exam?

The best way to prepare for an exam is to start studying early and consistently. Review your notes and materials regularly, create study guides or flashcards, and practice answering sample questions.

2. How can I stay calm and focused during an exam?

To stay calm and focused during an exam, make sure to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and take deep breaths when feeling overwhelmed. Also, read through all the instructions carefully and manage your time wisely.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject for my exam?

If you are struggling with a particular subject, seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide additional resources or clarify any confusing concepts. Also, try to break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and practice regularly.

4. Is it better to study alone or with a group for an exam?

This depends on personal preference and the subject being studied. Some people find studying alone more effective as it allows them to focus better, while others find studying with a group helpful for discussing and reinforcing information. Experiment with both methods and see what works best for you.

5. What are some tips for managing stress and anxiety before an exam?

To manage stress and anxiety before an exam, make sure to take care of your physical and mental well-being. Get enough rest, exercise, and eat healthy foods. Also, try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. Remember to stay positive and believe in yourself.