How Do Point Charges Affect Electric Field Vectors at a Specific Location?

In summary, the problem involves two point charges, q1 at the origin and q2 at x=3.00 cm on the -x axis. Point P is located at y=4.00 cm on the y-axis. The electric fields E1 and E2 at point P due to q1 and q2 can be calculated using the equation vec{E} = (k * q)/r2 hat{r}. After calculating the unit vector hat{r} for each charge, E1 was found to be 0 hat{i} -2.81*104 hat{j} and E2 was found to be 6.47*102 hat{i} + 8.62*102 hat{j}. It was
sami23

Homework Statement

Point charge q1= -5.00 is at the origin and point charge q2= +3.00 is on the -x axis at x= 3.00 cm. Point P is on the y-axis at y= 4.00 cm .

Calculate the electric fields E1 and E2 at point P due to the charges q1 and q2. Express your results in terms of unit vectors.

Homework Equations

r = sqrt(x2 + y2)
hat{r} = (vec{r} /r = x hat{i} + y hat{j}) / r
vec{E} = (k * q)/r2 hat{r}

The Attempt at a Solution

E1 will be the vector from q1 to point P
r = sqrt(02 + .042) = .04 m

hat{r} = (0 hat{i} + .04 hat{j})/.04 = 0 hat{i} + 1 hat{j}

E1 = (9*109) * (-5.00*10-9) / .042 (0 hat{i} + 1 hat{j})
= 0 hat{i} - 2.81*104 hat{j}

i did the exact same steps to find E2 and
E2 = 6.47*102 hat{i} + 8.62*102 hat{j}

Am I doing something wrong? According to the steps I used because my answers are wrong and i even followed the way the steps were in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is q2 at x = +3 cm or at x = -3 cm?

q2 is at x=+3 cm = 0.03m

sami23 said:
q2 is at x=+3 cm = 0.03m
So how did you end up with a positive i-component?

I would first check the units of the given charges q1 and q2. It seems that they are given in units of Coulombs (C) rather than the standard unit of charge, which is the Coulomb (C). This could be a typo or a mistake in the problem itself. Assuming that the charges are indeed given in Coulombs, the calculations for E1 and E2 would be as follows:

E1 = (9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2) * (-5 C) / (0.04 m)^2 * (0 hat{i} + 1 hat{j})
= -1.125*10^12 N/C * 0 hat{i} - 1.125*10^12 N/C * 1 hat{j}
= -1.125*10^12 N/C * (0 hat{i} + 1 hat{j})

E2 = (9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2) * (3 C) / (0.06 m)^2 * (-1 hat{i} + 0 hat{j})
= 1.125*10^12 N/C * (-1 hat{i} + 0 hat{j})
= -1.125*10^12 N/C * (-1 hat{i})

So, the final results for E1 and E2 are:
E1 = -1.125*10^12 N/C * (0 hat{i} + 1 hat{j})
E2 = 1.125*10^12 N/C * (-1 hat{i})

Note that the unit vectors are in the direction of the electric field, so they should not be included in the final answer. Also, it is important to pay attention to the signs of the charges and the direction of the electric field vectors. In this case, the negative charge q1 creates an electric field pointing towards it, while the positive charge q2 creates an electric field pointing away from it. The final answer for E1 should have a negative sign, while the final answer for E2 should have a positive sign.

Related to How Do Point Charges Affect Electric Field Vectors at a Specific Location?

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a concept in physics that represents an electric charge located at a single point in space. It is a theoretical model used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields.

2. How is the electric field related to a point charge?

The electric field is a measure of the force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space. The electric field at a point charge is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a point charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field of a point charge is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

4. How does the direction of the electric field around a point charge change?

The direction of the electric field around a point charge depends on the sign of the charge. If the point charge is positive, the electric field lines will radiate outward from the point charge. If the point charge is negative, the electric field lines will point towards the point charge.

5. Can the electric field of a point charge be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field of a point charge can be shielded or blocked by placing a conductive material between the point charge and the point where the electric field is being measured. This is known as electric field shielding and is commonly used in electronic devices to prevent interference from external electric fields.